View Full Version : Why won't IBM X41 Tablet PC Recognize iPAQ's Infra-red?

Lex
05-15-2006, 11:12 PM
I was just issued the above tablet PC which won't recognize my iPAQ's IR signal. The old IBM T30 beamed to the PPC just fine, it just wouldn't receive from it. This X41 doesn't acknowledge the PPC's IR signal and both are turned on.

Thanks for any ideas.

veethree
05-16-2006, 10:24 AM
I was just issued the above tablet PC which won't recognize my iPAQ's IR signal. The old IBM T30 beamed to the PPC just fine, it just wouldn't receive from it. This X41 doesn't acknowledge the PPC's IR signal and both are turned on.

Thanks for any ideas.

Nice little tablet, isn't it? What iPaq are you using - is it still the 2215 listed in your signature? I have the hx4700 and am able to transfer files back and forth without any hassles or special setup - I have just ensured that my infrared connection is set to receive all incoming beams. I am also using Resco File Explorer to transfer documents from my PPC to the IBM - not sure if that makes a difference.

Not sure if it helps, but it should show that the tablet should be able to perform this function.

Lex
05-16-2006, 11:28 AM
I am still using the 2215. Do you mean setting IR to receive on your tablet or PPC? My corporate tablet is locked down tightly (I.T. iron fist) so some settings cannot be altered w/o admin. authority. The only place I know to go for IR settings is Programs/Access IBM/Thinkpad Configuration. I can only select 'Enable' or 'Disable' IR. With the Thinkpad T40 it would sound off anytime I got the PPC near the laptop. No recognition with the X41 even when I'm pointing IR port to IR port. Thanks.

veethree
05-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Sorry, Lex, I'm lost for a solution. My infrared on the tablet is enabled in the same way that you describe, and the PPC - well, I'm sure you know about enabling that, too. I even tried putting an SD card into the IBM, since it shares a location with the infrared port, but it still sent and received files just fine.

The two devices "see" each other the moment I line them up. What's nice for me is that they both have Fast Infrared, so it's a very quick way of sharing files.

Lex
05-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey V3 can you tell me the steps you take if you want to beam a document to your PPC with your X41? I just tapped 'Receive an infrared beam' in 'Beam' in 'Settings' and the PPC acknowledged and identified the laptop.

With my old laptop I'd point the PPC IR port at the laptop port and a little widget popped up in the system tray on the laptop screen through which I could open a window and send any file to the PPC. The X41 doesn't acknowledge the PPC's beam as far as I can see.

veethree
05-17-2006, 03:25 PM
You got me again, Lex - I get the widget in my system tray. Have you tried expanding the system tray? Perhaps the widget is just hiding there somewhere.