View Full Version : Windows Mobile IMAP - Up to the Task?

Jonathon Watkins
05-10-2006, 10:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.modernnomads.info/articles/read.php?article_id=3' target='_blank'>http://www.modernnomads.info/articl...hp?article_id=3</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I have been using the standard Windows Mobile IMAP-mail client on our company Lotus Notes server for about a year now, without any problems. So without any hessitation I advised two colleagues of mine to use an I-Mate K-Jam for downloading their mail. They saw how i used it, loved the idea of reading their mail on the road and decided they wanted it as well. Little did i know that IMAP on a Windows Mobile device also has its limitations."</i><br /><br />And very interesting limitations they are too. Jaap van Ekris has written a thought provoking article that touches on the problems of the Windows Mobile implementation of IMAP, as well as the psychology and costs of different email storage and organisational strategies. Personally I do work via the described GMail way, i.e. don't organise, just store everything in one giant mailbox and search through it if you need something. How about you guys? Are you sorters or storers, or do you have some other superior solution or strategy for email searching?

manywhere
05-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Uh, where's the link to the article? :?

Clavain
05-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Have I missed something?

How do I link to the article?

I would like to read it before making a comment.
Thanks,
C.

Darius Wey
05-10-2006, 10:41 AM

I've just edited the post to include the link. Enjoy. :)

gmontielh
05-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Change your network e-mail to Outlook if you can. No problems whatsoever with IMAP set up with Outlokk. It took a while for our IT but finally they got convinced that Lotus Notes just sucks!

Jason Lee
05-10-2006, 02:47 PM
PPC imap works great for me. My inbox is my todo list. If there is something in there i have something to do or follow up on. As soon as it is dealt with it is placed in the proper folder for storage.

seaflipper
05-10-2006, 04:11 PM
PPC imap works great for me. My inbox is my todo list. If there is something in there i have something to do or follow up on. As soon as it is dealt with it is placed in the proper folder for storage.

Excactly how I do it too.

One feature that would be really nice though would be a "convert email to task" option so that longer term projects/tasks that you don't want sitting in the inbox for weeks at a time could be converted to an actual task...

mikestew
05-10-2006, 04:33 PM
One feature that would be really nice though would be a "convert email to task" option so that longer term projects/tasks that you don't want sitting in the inbox for weeks at a time could be converted to an actual task...

Ever sync with desktop Outlook? The way I handle this on the desktop is to drag emails to the tasks folder, turns it into a new task. Wish they carried this over to the PPC version.

Jason Lee
05-10-2006, 05:03 PM
that would be very handy actually. I do the exact same thing with longer term tasks.

Jonathon Watkins
05-10-2006, 05:27 PM

In my wild and fevered imagination. That's what I get for posting at 01:00. :roll: :lol: Sorry folks and cheers to Darius for doing a good job as ever. :wink:

LarDude
05-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Our company IT administrators discourage us from leaving messages in the Inbox on our IMAP mailservers, as they claim that this causes a performance "hit" on the mailservers. Instead, we are asked to move our messages over to other folders, where they would still be accessible (one of the advantages of IMAP). E.g., Being lazy, I have a folder on the mailserver called "InboxCache" where I move things to right after I read them (often without much reflection), which can later be moved into another folder called (e.g.) "To_Do", if I deem the message urgent. As such, the Inbox on my PPC typically loads up pretty quickly.

I tend to use a hybrid approach involving a mix of the "gmail" and "organize into folders" mentality. I make use of "short term" folders which typically have less than 20-30 messages (e.g. "travel_itinerary", "To_Do"), which I like to keep a copy of on my PPC (in case I don't have a WiFi connection whilst on the go). Other folders are "archives", for which I use the gmail/search approach via a web interface (like Squirrel) and, happily, works with Pocket IE.

alex_kac
05-10-2006, 08:57 PM

Excactly how I do it too.

I should point out that FlexMail 2006 has this feature.

bradray
05-11-2006, 06:20 AM
Like others here, I use my Inbox as a to do list. If I need to address the e-mail it stays there until I'm done with it. Then I move it to a subfolder called "old". At the end of the year I rename the old folder to the year and create a new old folder. There are a couple of other folders in addition to old that I use for specific types of e-mail that I need to reference a little easier (like technical notes).

I then use the new search folders in Outlook 2003 to organize my mail further into other categories. Having used Lotus Notes for a little while, that is a feature I was glad to see Outlook finally include.

I've also got exchange sending a copy of all my mail to my gmail account, so I use that as a backup/index for searching. I find searching gmail so much easier than searching outlook (especially as I'm a consultant and am rarely at my own desk).

So in the end, I spend very little time organizing because almost all of my mail goes into the same folder (old), yet I have the benefit of organization through search folders (and this is more flexible because with search folder I can organzie is several different ways simultaneously). I only create the search folders as I need them. Then I have near instant searching through my gmail "Archive".