View Full Version : X3i "USB Device Not Recognized"

Xaximus
05-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I bought a used Axim X3i and received it in the mail today. Unfortunately, when I connect it to my system via the cradle, I get a "USB Device Not Recognized" pop-up bubble, which further says, "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message." When I click the message, it displays a window saying "Unknown device." The "Dell logo" does glow blue and the Axim has charged up to 96%.

I have:
made sure that all cables and connections are secure, without being too forceful
tried all 6 USB ports on my computer
several other USB devices connected that work without any problems
a high-end 450W power supply in my computer
checked the cradle and Axim for bent pins or other apparent damage
installed ActiveSync 4.1 from Microsoft's website
installed ActiveSync 3.7 from the included Dell CD (after uninstalling 4.1)
updated my motherboard's drivers (VIA Hyperion, most recent version)
restarted my computer multiple times throughout the process
I'm inclined to think the Axim or cradle are damaged. Any ideas or suggestions?

Nurhisham Hussein
05-10-2006, 04:20 AM
The only thing I can think of that you haven't tried is trying to connect without the cradle. Obviously this will require that you get a seperate cable (co$t), but it would establish if the problem is with the Axim or the cradle.

Xaximus
05-10-2006, 01:59 PM
I haven't tried it, as I'm reluctant to spend money on it without knowing it'll work. I've had success connecting a few times (out of 30-40 times) with ActiveSync 4.2. I'm now hoping to find out if there's a viable wifi sync option.

Nurhisham Hussein
05-11-2006, 01:24 AM
I'm not sure that wifi sync is an option - it's been taken out of AS4.x, but I'm not sure if that applies to pre-WM5 devices. Does the Axim have bluetooth? That might be another option.