View Full Version : Why can't Hollywood ever get the facts straight?

Cybrid
05-06-2006, 07:08 AM
:lol: Is it my imagination or does Hollywood intentionally muck up their representations of technology/gadgets/etc?

Examples:
Sum of all fears: Jack Ryan uses a Casio E-125 after a nuclear explosion. Now as much I love and extol that device. It is not hardened against EMP and nor is the cellular network he called on.

Bourne Identity: The HP Ipaq touchscreen is used as a flatbed scanner.

Mission Impossible III: Ethan Hunt uses an OQO to hack into the Vatican's security system and uses his finger. It's not a touchscreen. It's one of those magnetic Tablet PC type input.

I remember a similar thread some time back. I have to wonder... Does this ever make a person buy a device then feel that it didn't work as advertised? :roll:

CESkins
05-06-2006, 12:18 PM
:lol: Is it my imagination or does Hollywood intentionally muck up their representations of technology/gadgets/etc?
Hollywood will call this “creative license” while those of us familiar with these gadgets consider this heresy. :D

I remember a similar thread some time back. I have to wonder... Does this ever make a person buy a device then feel that it didn't work as advertised? :roll:
Anyone who buys a device worth several hundred dollars based on a Hollywood represention of it and feels they got burned is not a good consumer. Hollywood films are no substitute for doing the appropriate homework before spending hundreds on a PDA, cellphone, or other gadget.

Darius Wey
05-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Anyone who buys a device worth several hundred dollars based on a Hollywood represention of it and feels they got burned is not a good consumer. Hollywood films are no substitute for doing the appropriate homework before spending hundreds on a PDA, cellphone, or other gadget.

Aww, damn. No wonder that lightsaber of mine doesn't actually cut through solid material. :lol:

Cybrid
05-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Aww, damn. No wonder that lightsaber of mine doesn't actually cut through solid material. :lol:ROFL

kudron
05-06-2006, 10:49 PM
I guess that's why my Atari Portfolio still will not withdrawl cash from ATM machines....

Jacob
05-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Hollywood intentionally muck up their representations of technology/gadgets/etc?

Yes they do.. so what? They're making a fictional movie, not a documentary about technology.

Anyone who buys a device worth several hundred dollars based on a Hollywood represention of it and feels they got burned is not a good consumer.

Well said! Although I might add a few things ;)

DerekAbney
05-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Creative license- like someone else said. That makes the most sense. They're going to use the coolest looking gadget they can find and make it do whatever they want it to "do" for the sake of the movie or TV show.

That said, the Brand wins out in the end- ya'll are right, most consumers probably realize its just fiction, but now they've got the brand in their head (Jack Bauer uses a Palm...cool! Hmm...Palm...)...or what ever!

rocky_raher
05-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Bear in mind that the prop department of a studio might build a fictional high-tech gizmo from scratch, or they might simply take an off-the-shelf object with the right look. The TV series "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" _often_ raided the electronic games section of Toys R Us for props. A teaching machine with a 9" screen and a few buttons would become a video terminal, a handheld video game would be used as a radiation sensor. So if the plot of a movie requires a character to use a handheld <anything!>, they'll hand the actor a PDA and tell him to pretend it's a portable interrossiter.

W.I.P.
06-21-2006, 04:33 AM

Examples:
Sum of all fears: Jack Ryan uses a Casio E-125 after a nuclear explosion. Now as much I love and extol that device. It is not hardened against EMP and nor is the cellular network he called on.

Bourne Identity: The HP Ipaq touchscreen is used as a flatbed scanner.

Mission Impossible III: Ethan Hunt uses an OQO to hack into the Vatican's security system and uses his finger. It's not a touchscreen. It's one of those magnetic Tablet PC type input.

:i got it: So, inversly, Hollywood should make readily available all of Bond's gadgets then! 8O :drool: