View Full Version : Recommendations for ActiveSync upgrade

myrampar
05-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Hello all,

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new XV6700 from Verizon which should be here any day. I realize that I need to install ActiveSync 4.1 to sync with this device.

Right now I have an HP Ipaq 4150 and am using ActiveSync 3.8 and everything is working fine.

Before installing AS 4.1, should I uninstall AS 3.8 and re-establish my partnership with the Ipaq first and then partner with the XV6700? I intend to use both devices going forward.

Since I'm sure many of you have upgraded to a Windows Mobile 5 device but still have the "old" device in the mix, I'm looking for suggestions to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Thanks!

Darius Wey
05-03-2006, 05:07 PM
You shouldn't need to do anything special when making the transition. Simply install v4.1 and it will overwrite v3.8. Now, I've never had a problem with this. But, if you're in doubt, the best step would be to uninstall v3.8 first, then install v4.1. There's no need to do anything fancy with partnerships. Because v4.1 is backward-compatible, you'll still be able to establish new partnerships and synchronise both devices with the PC.

myrampar
05-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Darius-

Thanks for the response! I have had good luck in the past performing an over-the-top install with newer versions of ActiveSync, so I think that is the route I will take.

I realize one will lose the ability to perform a wifi sync with AS 4.1 but most of the time I just cradle the device.

Do you know if it is possible with ActiveSync 4.1 to establish a VPN connection over the internet with your desktop and then perform a sync? I currently use that method when I am out and about with the Ipaq 4150 and at a hotspot.

Cheers!

Darius Wey
05-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Do you know if it is possible with ActiveSync 4.1 to establish a VPN connection over the internet with your desktop and then perform a sync? I currently use that method when I am out and about with the Ipaq 4150 and at a hotspot.

Unfortunately, all remote sync methods (except via Exchange) were removed with the introduction of ActiveSync 4.x.

myrampar
05-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Darius,

Thanks for the clarification. I just arrived home and found the XV6700 package sitting on the doorstep. Happy days!

Jason Dunn
05-05-2006, 12:04 AM
I just arrived home and found the XV6700 package sitting on the doorstep. Happy days!

Enjoy the new device! I've heard great things about it. :-)

Darius Wey
05-05-2006, 02:41 AM
I just arrived home and found the XV6700 package sitting on the doorstep. Happy days!

Enjoy your new converged device. You'll never want to go back. ;)