View Full Version : questions from a pda virgin

mcewena
05-01-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm going to spring for a autonav device and I was going to get a PDA format one because of the size/shape and battery life.

I was figuring I'd get a wifi capable one (Asus A636 likely) to make it truly useful while travelling, however I've not used a pda for internet access before so I've got some fairly basic questions:

Is finding a hotspot the same as with a wireless laptop?

Any browser issues? or do websites have to be set up pda browser friendly to use? (like the old netscape/ie turf war).

Can I still do my banking, book via travelocity/expedia like from a PC? Is SSL supported?

Am I going to end up buying a keyboard the first week just to type in a URL?

Any other surprises I'll find coming from a laptop?

cheers,

Art

Sven Johannsen
05-02-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm going to spring for a autonav device and I was going to get a PDA format one because of the size/shape and battery life.You are looking for shorter battery life? Really a PPC used as a nav device...with the screen continuously on...is likely not going to compare favorable with a dedicated car nav unit. You do get the advantages of all the other things the PPC does, and most likely you are going to be powering either solution for any longer trip anyway.

I was figuring I'd get a wifi capable one (Asus A636 likely) to make it truly useful while travelling, however I've not used a pda for internet access before so I've got some fairly basic questions:

Is finding a hotspot the same as with a wireless laptop?Pretty much. You get in range, turn on WiFi and a screen pops up asking if you want to connect. If the hotspot is unsecured you connect. Then it becomes a matter of other possible issues.

Any browser issues? or do websites have to be set up pda browser friendly to use? (like the old netscape/ie turf war).Yea, it don't do Java, at least PIE doesn't. There are third party options that do more. No they don't have to be PDA specific, but there are those sites and they are more pleasant to use. Many popular sites do have a mobile version.

Can I still do my banking, book via travelocity/expedia like from a PC? Is SSL supported? Depends. yes the PPC can do secure connections, but some sites don't believe it, and refuse to talk to it. That's based on the browser having an ID the site can read. Often those sites also rely on featurs PIE doesn't support. Again third party browsers can help here.

Am I going to end up buying a keyboard the first week just to type in a URL? Up to you. Most PPC users settle on some input method they get comfortable with. There are a fair number of units these days with integral keyboards too. There is also Favorites...peck it in once and save it.

Any other surprises I'll find coming from a laptop?Hope it doesn't come as a surprise, but a PPC isn't a little laptop. Not even the Jasjar.

mcewena
05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
You are looking for shorter battery life? Really a PPC used as a nav device...with the screen continuously on...is likely not going to compare favorable with a dedicated car nav unit.

Actualy most of the dedicatd units fro Garmin & magellen don't have batteries at all as they're assuming your runing with a cig lighter power source.

The ones that do have batteries are fist shape (like the tomtom) and so akward to carry around if sightseeing in London/Paris/Rome etc.. The Garmin Nuvi and Quest are exceptions but they're either pricy or very small screen.

PDAs are flat and the screen can be turned down when away from the car.

Thanks for the info.

Sven Johannsen
05-03-2006, 03:08 AM
I'm actually considering the Garmin Nuvii. It does have a respectable battery, is quite compact, and the screen is perfectly fine. Not really much smaller than my PDA-N. The interface seems pretty good, after playing with it at the store for a while.

That new Pharos version of the PDA-N might be something to look at. I haven't read the review yet, but the blurb about PIM being a problem surprises me. I don't have any PIM issues with my PDA-N or any other WM5 device to speak of. No more than we've ever had.

Interesting thing is that the I-Mate version, PDA-N, comes with the car charger and suction windshield mount...but absolutely no GPS software what so ever. The Pharos at least is useable as a nav device out of the box.

mcewena
05-03-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm actually considering the Garmin Nuvii. It does have a respectable battery, is quite compact, and the screen is perfectly fine.

Yes and the travel guide & language dictionaries are nice add-ons. However those are extra cost items and it already starts out costing more then a PDA.

The other odd thing is it comes pre-loaded with your home market maps, however with the guide and language it's clearly meant for the trans atlantic traveler so it would be nice to buy it with no maps and buy the maps you need with the language pack.

DerekAbney
05-10-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm a fan of the smartphones and all- but I have to wonder just how good they might be for doing Sat/Nav in a car. I would just like to have something like that optimized for the job. The less fiddling while drivin the better. By the time you get done buying add-ons and accessories you might just want to get a portable GPS with a sharp sun-treated screen/night vision and big 'ole screen. That and you're not gonna kill the battery in your pocketPC/smartphone either while you're on the road.

I know that TomTom (700, 910..maybe one more?) has a couple of models that could link up (bluetooth) to your existing cellphone, and they also do a PDA/laptop friendly card for navigation as well. Perhaps its worth considering those options too?