View Full Version : IiPaq 4350 and a new computer

maggieboby
05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
I hope someone can help me out here...
I have a iPaq 4350 -- used it a little on a different computer. Now have a new computer and want to use 4350 regularly. Have some programs (ISMail, Bejewled :>), etc that I would like to continue to use.
I've updated ActiveSync to ver 3.8.
I do NOT use Outlook at all.. I use Thunderbird. Also I use Firefox, not IE.

What do I need to do here? I obviously can't sync my contacts, etc. I'm not even sure what I've got going on here. Would I be better off blowing out my ipaq (hard reset) and just starting over?

I just want to get back to using my device the way it's meant to be used.

All suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance. :lol:

Janak Parekh
05-01-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't understand the problem... you can install ActiveSync 3.8 on your new machine and partner with your iPAQ. You don't need to reinstall it, unless you want to.

Do note, though, that ActiveSync (and pretty much any other PDA out there) doesn't sync with Thunderbird. I use Thunderbird and Firefox, but I do keep Outlook around for the basic PIM stuff, which it's pretty good at; you're not required to read mail with Outlook to sync Contacts/Calendar/Tasks/Notes.

--janak

r@dimus
05-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Have you tried just installed Activesync and dropping the iPaq in the cradle when it asks you to connect your PDA?

Without Outlook you should still be able to sync files and Favorites. For the rest just set Activesync to make an incremental backup of you iPaq on each sync so there's a backup of all your unsynced data on the PC.

maggieboby
05-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks to both of you for answering so quickly. I don't think I really had a problem, so to speak; mostly just unsure of the Outlook/Thunderbird thing... and you answered that. I'll use Outlook as you suggested. But what do you check your email with-- or don't you do that?

I don't have ISMail on this particular computer; if I'm not mistaken, it loads something on to the desktop as well... but I'll check the creators' website and deal with it then. This is what I was using before, I think, but it's been a while.

I may end up posting again for more answers from you guys -- used to be that I had time to figure this out myself.. now I need the fast fixes...

Thanks again!!
Maggie

r@dimus
05-02-2006, 03:26 PM
I use Thunderbird as my primary email client as well. For Outlook, I just installed it without configuring any of the email components, so it's just a PIM. Alternately, if you want to use your PPC's Inbox app to compose new mail and have it sent when you sync your PPC you can configure Outlook's email client, but set it to not check your account for new mail or do a send/receive function at start up and leave Thunderbird as your default email client. That way if you write an email on your PPC when you sync it Outlook will send the email out.

Also, you could set up your PPC's Inbox app to directly connect to a POP3 account. Then, if your PC is connected to the internet when you sync your PPC the Inbox app will connect to your POP3 account through your PC and perform a send/receive. It will not delete your email off the POP3 account, so when Thunderbird polls the account it will pull it down as well. I had a HP 4150 set up this way and my Dell X51v is set to do this as well. It works very well, and I have Inbox set to download the full messages so I can read them offline later if desired.

Janak Parekh
05-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks to both of you for answering so quickly. I don't think I really had a problem, so to speak; mostly just unsure of the Outlook/Thunderbird thing... and you answered that. I'll use Outlook as you suggested. But what do you check your email with-- or don't you do that?
On the desktop, I use a mix of Thunderbird and another mail client. On the Pocket PC, I have it set to sync directly with the Exchange Server. If you're asking about checking email with the Pocket PC, you can do it through Outlook, but you don't have to; you can configure a Pocket PC to directly POP or IMAP to an ISP's mail server.

I don't have ISMail on this particular computer; if I'm not mistaken, it loads something on to the desktop as well... but I'll check the creators' website and deal with it then. This is what I was using before, I think, but it's been a while.
You mean WebIS Mail? I don't think it had a desktop component...

--janak

maggieboby
05-03-2006, 02:45 AM
I am always so impressed by the folks who take the time to explain things that have nothing"in it" for them!

Thank you so much for the answers. I will carefully go over the information and probably manage to do as was suggested. (Wish me luck! LOL)

Thanks again!

Janak Parekh
05-03-2006, 04:24 AM
Thank you so much for the answers. I will carefully go over the information and probably manage to do as was suggested. (Wish me luck! LOL)
You're welcome, and good luck. We'll be here if anything else crops up. (Don't worry, this is not my full-time profession, it's just a hobby... I've used Pocket PCs enough that passing along a few tips now and then doesn't hurt.)

--janak