View Full Version : Mourning Gigabar

Sheena
04-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey, kiddies!
After all these years, good ol' Gigabar has disappeared completely, not even the old website remains. I've been a faithful user since my first iPaq & it's still my #1-can't-live-without application. There's other launchers & switchers out there, but I can't find a program or plugin that will create a simple customizable toolbar where I can save my most used commands, so I put it to you experts...

Is there an application that can have the features below assigned to a few buttons on a toolbar (accessible no matter what's running)? Wisbar comes close, but the items with the * don't seem to be there. My beloved 4 Gigabar buttons do the following:

Button #1:
OK - Cancel - *Undo - Help - *Capture - *Delay Capture
Button #2:
*Files - Close - Tasks - Close All
Button #3: <*Displays battery status constantly.
Power - Memory - Volume
Button #4: <*Displays date AND time constantly.
*End - *Home - *Alt Key - Desktop - +Gigabar settings & functions

Except for maybe the capture functions, I really need the other * functions, particularly those like End/Home and the Alt key, that are mising completely on the keyboard.

I read somewhere that the Gigabar code was open or had been released, so for you programmers out there: If you take over this forgotten jewel, I'm sure many users like me will gladly pay for an update. The last version is over 2 years old & with the latest OS is starting to get buggy, but still works. Lots of features I don't even use, but the ability to assign just about any command to a couple of buttons is priceless. Please consider it!

Thank you all.

Rosie

emuelle1
04-28-2006, 01:58 PM
I loved Gigabar when I had my 3765. After I got my Dell x30, I settled on the Dell Switcher bar as a basic task manager, but now that I have a 4700 I've been looking for another task manager since the iTask is a little bit slow.

ironguy
04-28-2006, 05:47 PM
I too loved gigabar. I went to the Startap web site just the other day as I ran across the link in an old bookmark file. That was another program that was really before it's time. Combined with Gigabar, it was a pretty awesome combination.

Gigabar evolved into Gigatask into what is now iTask, but without the actual bar!
As Barbra Streisand sang, "It was all so simple then..."

I really like WisBar, but it is also evolving into something more.

Sheena
04-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Gigabar evolved into Gigatask into what is now iTask
But that's de-evolving, isn't it? :wink: Why take a great program with a great functionality & make it into a shell of itself? It's like Word or WordPerfect "upgrading" into Notepad. :roll:

Here's hoping the trend is not catching.

Rosie

victore
04-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Sheena, have you tried WisBar Advance from Lakeridge Software (http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/)? It's very customizeable from both a graphical and operational standpoint.

Sheena
04-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Sheena, have you tried WisBar Advance from Lakeridge Software? It's very customizeable from both a graphical and operational standpoint.
I tried it a while back, Victor, so the latest versions may be better. Back then it was fine as a launcher & switcher, but there was nothing to add extra functions (like Undo), missing keys (Alt, Home, End), or features (Files/Explorer). For what I've read, you can add buttons, but only 2 options/programs to each, everything else is in the Today screen.

Depending on what is rec'd here I may download it (or a similar launcher) & give it a try again, but features like that are a must-have. I use Battery Pack's Program Bar as a launcher from the Today screen & the usual icons to switch, so those functions are irrelevant for me. In the same vein, there's plenty to choose from for a plain close-button substitute.

It sounds like I'm going in circles, but Gigabar has spoiled me completely. Oh well! :oops:

Rosie