View Full Version : Upgrade from Ipaq to smartphone

rosbif
04-26-2006, 04:26 PM
I've just bought an Orange SPV M600 to replace my phone and my Ipaq 4515. Obviously the ipaq uses Activesync 3.8 and outlook via WM2003. The M600 (same as a Jamin) use activesync 4.1 and WM5. What do I need to do for a seemless upgrade - can I just install the new version of activesync and it will take over all the settings? Will my ipaq stop syncing?

Would love any advice before I take the plunge... :)

rosbif
05-02-2006, 10:12 AM
No replies ( :( ) so went ahead and did it anyway. All seemed to work ok. Trouble is because the phone is in French it has installed Activesync in French. Would like to change both but I understand that to change the phone means changing the firmware... :?

Janak Parekh
05-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Sorry, missed this. Yes, upgrading should be okay. As for the French firmware, that's a problem. I think you can probably use English AS with the French ROM, but changing the ROM is technically illegal.

--janak

rosbif
05-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks for that Janek.. All seems to be going fine so far. Can I just download AS and get it to overwrite the version in French?

Janak Parekh
05-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Hmm. I think it should upgrade in-place, but there's a chance you may have to uninstall/reinstall AS for it to work. Just to be safe, I'd back up my data before experimenting. (And, of course, you should ask yourself whether it's that important that AS be in English instead of French.)

--janak

rosbif
05-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Guess you're right - with all the hassles AS gives I shall leave well alone unless someone can tell me for sure...

Thanks again..