View Full Version : A2DP. OEMs Don't Give, Users Take

Jon Westfall
04-25-2006, 02:59 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=48502' target='_blank'>http://forum.xda-developers.com/vie...pic.php?t=48502</a><br /><br /></div>Some interesting happenings in the HTC Wizard (and other devices as well) hacking communities. They never let the failure to include A2DP in the most recent ROMs die, and have come up with a work-around solution using bits and pieces from a leaked QTek ROM that had A2DP. The solution, posted at XDA-Developers requires some tweaking, registry hacking, installing of files, and more, but in the end apparently leaves the user with an A2DP enabled Wizard (or Tornado, or Jamin, or Prophet). Now obviously this isn't technically legal to mix and match parts, and no OEM will be willing to help you if you have problems, but if you're daring, have a look. I'm not saying that I've done the tweaking to get A2DP back, but if I <i>had</i> done it, I <i>suppose</i> I could say that it works just as good as it did if I had ever run the <i>hacked qtek rom</i> months ago which was awefully tempting in the pre AKU 2 days. I also <i>suppose</i> I'd stress making sure you follow all the directions in the posts as leaving out one or two could result in the whole hack not working for you. So are you interested in trying this little un-supported hack, <i>hypothetically-speaking</i> of course ;)

summiter
04-25-2006, 08:21 AM
For Cingular 8125 users, I've created a custom ROM with A2DP integrated. The ROM also includes extra ringers, themes, Compact Framework 2, and the OmapClock overclocking utility. It is based on another vendor's AKU2 release so it also includes Direct Push. It has been customized with all Cingular customizations so you can basically flash-n-go.

A link to the ROM is available over at xda-dev.

ADBrown
04-25-2006, 08:59 AM
There's a similar project to port A2DP, and the entire Widcomm Bluetooth stack, to WM5-equipped Axims. There's also been a bit of buzz about the HTC tweaks, and whether they can be used with an Axim. I don't think anyone's tested it yet. I'd do it myself, but I lack for Bluetooth headphones.

Menneisyys
04-25-2006, 09:51 AM
There's a similar project to port A2DP, and the entire Widcomm Bluetooth stack, to WM5-equipped Axims. There's also been a bit of buzz about the HTC tweaks, and whether they can be used with an Axim. I don't think anyone's tested it yet. I'd do it myself, but I lack for Bluetooth headphones.

With the latest (0.37) Axim hack, several A2DP headphones work. See http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=114983

Paladin27
04-25-2006, 01:40 PM
I just installed the A2DP hack.cab (http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?p=276234#276234) made by Zoki on the HTC Wizard forum that bundles this hack up for Wizard owners. It works flawlessly, as soon as I installed, did a soft-reset and re-paired my A2DP headphones, I was able to stream stereo audio perfectly!

Woohoo! :D :mrgreen:

inteller
04-25-2006, 02:10 PM
well, while I praise everyone's technical abiility here to get this working and I admire everyone's selefless effort this really does expose a very SAD state of affairs.

I don't buy my devices from you guys or anyone else at XDA-developers. I buy my device from Cingular, other people buy theirs from T-Mobile. I think that when we buy our devices from these big, cash laden companies we expect a modicum of support in the form of upgrades.

Right now I have seen ziltch. It is REALLY pissing me off. I paid GOOD money for this device and I have not seen even ONE update ROM from Cingular. Sure, I could take one of these XDA-developer roms and flash it. However being on a business account i need support from MY CARRIER when I'm out on the road and somehting happens (which it has in the past) i dont need a big FU from cingular if they see I have a foriegn ROM on it. It is really frickin sad that I cant get all the functionality that I need.
I feel like some of you guys are doing Cingular and HTCs R&amp;D. I think you all need to start stamping something into the ROM so that if it ever shows up in an "official" release you can demand an explanation from these *******s.

Raphael Salgado
04-25-2006, 03:08 PM
By the way, if you're looking for a Bluetooth stereo headset, the Logitech Wireless Headphones for iPod may work on the Pocket PC devices (I don't believe there is a microphone on them, so Phone devices may have to rely on the mic on your phone instead).

Buy.com has it for $89.99 and a $50 mail-in rebate plus free shipping bringing the net price down to $39.99!

You have some time to think about it, since the offer ends June 30, 2006. If you want to "try" it out, CompUSA sells it and offers a 21-day no-restocking-fee return policy, and other stores like Circuit City, Sears, and Target have similar policies as well.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202021237

JonnoB
04-25-2006, 03:57 PM
I want to get an A2DP headset, with remote AVRCP... is there a comprehensive side by side review of available units on the market somewhere?

Jason Lee
04-25-2006, 09:25 PM
I want to get an A2DP headset, with remote AVRCP... is there a comprehensive side by side review of available units on the market somewhere?

Motorola HT820 (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?ref=froogle&amp;pfp=froogle&amp;product_code=336012&amp;cm_ven=froogle&amp;cm_cat=&amp;cm_pla=&amp;cm_ite=feed)
Listen to and control your music and answer your phone calls all with one headset.

There are also reports that you can no longer use MP3s as ringtones after installing this update. Can anyone here confirm that?

dma1965
04-25-2006, 10:58 PM
I installed the A2DP Hack.cab file, reset my device, went to CompUSA and bought a pair of the Motorola HT820 Bluetooth Stereo Headphones. I paired the headphones to my Qtek 9100, did a tap and hold on the connection and selected it as a bluetooth stereo device, and it connected. I then just opened Windows Media Player and started playing some music, and it works like a friggin charm. Everything works (Play, Pause, Volume Up and Down, phone calls, etc.).Perhaps OEM's should start using better hiring standards, because it seems the community has better people working in it.

Down8
04-25-2006, 11:40 PM
...Now obviously this isn't technically legal to mix and match parts, and no OEM will be willing to help you if you have problems, but if you're daring, have a look....This is the part of computers that annoy the hell out of me. This is akin to saying, "it's illegal for you to drop a Corvette engine into a Mazda," which, aside from smog laws, it isn't. Software companies should not be allowed to specify how their utilities are used - in any case. If the software is available, it should be used how ever the user sees fit. If a developer doesn't want it used, don't release it.

-bZj

dma1965
04-26-2006, 01:05 AM
...Now obviously this isn't technically legal to mix and match parts, and no OEM will be willing to help you if you have problems, but if you're daring, have a look....This is the part of computers that annoy the hell out of me. This is akin to saying, "it's illegal for you to drop a Corvette engine into a Mazda," which, aside from smog laws, it isn't. Software companies should not be allowed to specify how their utilities are used - in any case. If the software is available, it should be used how ever the user sees fit. If a developer doesn't want it used, don't release it.

-bZj

Amen brother!!!! Preach it !!! This is exactly what annoys me too. Technology has its own set of laws conveniently designed to make consumers bend over and hold their ankles, while the tech companies, OEM's, software, and hardware distributors just stick it to us. Software does'nt perform as advertised, tough crap! Decide to take A and combine it with B....go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Want to make something work better....well that's a violation of the DMCA. This just sucks! I am sorry, but as one who loves technology, I have to raise my middle finger to anyone who accuses me of breaking the law for making tech work better. Years ago when Minoxodil was first used for treating hair loss, the FDA could not stop doctors from prescribing it, even though it had been released as a blood pressure medication. It is just not sensible to assume anyone has the right to tell a consumer how he or she can use a product once it is in his or her hands. Unjust laws are made to be broken. Period!!!!

JonnoB
04-26-2006, 01:21 AM
The difference here is that the 'illegal' parts are unreleased files. Now, once released, I believe anyone should be able to use them... but just as it would be illegal to grab files from Windows Vista to use in Windows XP when you have not upgraded, the same is true to using files that were not yet released.

I agree however that once you own the software and own the device, you should be able to make changes without Big Brother watching over you.

DaleReeck
04-26-2006, 02:32 AM
I agree however that once you own the software and own the device, you should be able to make changes without Big Brother watching over you.

I agree with what everyone is saying but in legal terms, we technically don't own the software when we "buy" it like we don't technically "own" the DVD's and movies we buy. I guess we rent them. Theoretically, you can't mess with software any more than you can take a VHS movie rental and tape over it before you return it.

The laws need to be changed to define personal use vs. public use more clearly and give users more rights to things for their personal use IMO.

bnycastro
04-26-2006, 07:00 AM
works a-ok with iTech Blueband! :mrgreen:

ADBrown
04-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Has anyone tried this on a WM5 device other than the HTC phones? Axims, for instance, or something not manufactured by HTC at all?

atpcz
04-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Doesn't this just prove how insane it is that we have to get these updates "legally" from the mobile phone providers?

I've just sent a long ranting email to our Vodafone account manager as I'm fed up with them continually delaying the launch of the Qtek9100, and not giving any details as to why. Every other provider in the UK has released it in one flavour or another, but Vodafone STILL don't have them on their business accounts.

They also haven't released AKU2.0 for any of their WM5 devices. It was supposed to be out at the beginning of April.

I don't understand why we have to wait for them to bring out updates, when we don't have the same state of affairs with computers - I don't wait for Dell to release Microsofts latest patch!

I'm starting to get asked about Blackberries at work and I'm doing my best to fend them off, but for the love of God Vodafone, pull your finger out!

DarkHelmet
04-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Has anyone tried this on a WM5 device other than the HTC phones? Axims, for instance, or something not manufactured by HTC at all?

To my knowledge, the answer is, "no"...

Why is that? Probably because most of us expect the OEMs TO SUPPORT THE DEVICES THEY SELL...

DarkHelmet
04-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Doesn't this just prove how insane it is that we have to get these updates "legally" from the mobile phone providers?

>> Yes.

I don't understand why we have to wait for them to bring out updates, when we don't have the same state of affairs with computers - I don't wait for Dell to release Microsofts latest patch!

>> You should talk to Axim x50 and x50v owners about waiting for a ROM fix for the dismal WM5 upgrade CD-ROM that they bought for a measly 39 USD.

We're still waiting...

Jason Lee
04-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Got my Moto HT820 today. paired it with my ppc and it works perfectly as hands free and stereo! So nice to have.

I also paired them with my tablet. They work perfectly for playing World of Warcraft and using Ventrillo. The mic on the headset works and everything. But i have an old dlink usb dongle so it is stereo but not very good quality and the play controls don't work on my pc. Works great with my ppc though!!!

Underwater Mike
05-06-2006, 04:38 AM
Can someone help me with unlocking my phone so that I can try to upgrade the ROM? I tried both lockwiz and awizard, and neither one will work. I unzipped both downloaded utils to the root of C: and ran them from there. lockwiz just quits before doing anything, and aWizard keeps telling me that "the system cannot find the path specified" and then gives up. :?

For Cingular 8125 users, I've created a custom ROM with A2DP integrated. The ROM also includes extra ringers, themes, Compact Framework 2, and the OmapClock overclocking utility. It is based on another vendor's AKU2 release so it also includes Direct Push. It has been customized with all Cingular customizations so you can basically flash-n-go.

A link to the ROM is available over at xda-dev.

bnycastro
05-06-2006, 05:29 AM
Underwater Mike:

Did you copy the ENABLERAPI.CAB and RUN it on your device?

Underwater Mike
05-06-2006, 05:45 AM
Yup. Got the same error as with aWizard, and no backup file was created. Nothing happened.

I wonder if this unit has the aku2 rom and that's why i'm having trouble? I just picked it up today. How do I tell? I don;t even know how to do a hard reset on this thing yet.

bnycastro
05-06-2006, 06:07 AM
Two ways to do a hard reset on the Wizard:

1) Software - Start\Settings\System\Clear Storage enter 1234 hit OK

2) Buttons - Press and Hold COMM MANAGER and VOICE COMM buttons, place stylus in soft reset hole, screen turns black release the two and you are asked if you want to reformat press SEND key to execute.

To check if you have AKU2 you can goto Start\Settings\System\About you can see the section (Build XXXXX.2.0.0) not certain if the first 5 numbers are the same accross different incarnations of the Wizard. Or you can hit comm manager and if you have the push email icon then you have AKU2. If you have an AKU2 ROM then you just need the Tor_A2DP cabs [there are 2 one for the dlls and reg entries and the other to certify/register these dlls] they can be found at xda-dev.

RE: aWizard I used this app when I had a pre AKU2.0 ROM and have not tried it with the newer ROMs.

Underwater Mike
05-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Nope, in that case I do not -- no push email icon and version is build 14410.1.1.3.

Maybe I should try on another PC? This is too weird -- all my partnership/sync is going fine, so I know that the AS communicaiton is ok.

BTW, thanks for the help. The phone is sweet, but would be better with the updates.

bnycastro
05-06-2006, 06:35 AM
if you are patient maybe wait for cingular to get out their AKU2 :) that way it will be in a form of an RUU.

Jason Lee
05-06-2006, 08:40 AM
I discovered something cool. If you have a A2DP headset paired and are listening to music in media player you can actually power the ppc off and the music keeps playing. when the headphones are not paired and you press the power button the music stops but if they are connected the music continues. The play controls on the headset also continue to work. unlike just powering the screen off using media player pressing the power button turns off more hardware. the keys I have mapped to control media player don't work so it really puts the device closer to the off state.

bnycastro
05-06-2006, 10:41 AM
I noticed this too... good catch Jason

iamcarlos
05-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Hello

I just got a BRAND NEW Jamin from ebay, and I am lov'n it. Looks like the seller did register the unit on clubimate site, and they are asking for $60 to give me any support, since they claim that this is a used unit.

I learned that Imate came out with the new ROM supporting push-email and stereo bluetooth with A2DP.

How can I get these functionalities on my unit, without paying AGAIN for a support that I believe I should get??

Thanks all

ADBrown
05-31-2006, 11:36 PM
You could try flashing it with an alternate or custom ROM. They have a bunch of them over at XDA-Developers.com.

Sven Johannsen
06-03-2006, 04:01 AM
I learned that Imate came out with the new ROM supporting push-email and stereo bluetooth with A2DP.

They did? News to me. Got three I-Mates and flashed them to the latest, I believe. Yes on MSFP (push e-mail), no on A2DP. Anybody else have different results?