View Full Version : Which SD for Acer n310 (and can i buy mini?)

pheral
04-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Pardon the questions of a newbie to this pda lark. I've searched these forums for a few days in an effort to avoid bothering you with oft-asked questions(and because it numbed the pain of waiting for my n310 to be delivered, hee!), but i've not found a satisfactory answer for this one:

I was actually shopping for a miniSD, as i was under the impression these were simply shorter than regular SD cards, and would therefore look way better sitting in my Acer than a longer card. But i just saw an article describing the mini as a new format, and a niggle of doubt crept in. Can i buy a miniSD for my Acer n310?

And secondly, i know i want a 2GB card but really have no clue on brands. I've found a really reasonably priced Sandisk miniSD, and am hoping it's safe to go for that. Of course i know all cards will have their problems, but anyone got any advice on card brands and compatibility issues with the Acer?

Thank ye!

[oh, and while i'm here asking questions: does anyone know where i can get a another battery for the Acer? I've not found anyone selling them yet. I'm in the UK, but don't mind buying from US sites if they will deliver here]

pheral
04-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Figured i'd update this, as i got information from elsewhere eventually. Komplett got back to me and let me know the Acer will only take standard SD cards, not minis, so there's no point in my buying a mini to try and make it look sleeker. Pity really.

So, i've decided to go for an Adata 4GB SD card, as the speed looks good, the price is competitive (£75) and someone else mentioned it performing fine in the 'Acer n300 thread' (thanks!).

Spare batteries are proving impossible to find, so i've emailed Acer about it. They do seem to be available in other countries though, and i found a netherlands site selling them. Will be enquiring whether they'll deliver to the UK probably.

Andy Whiteford
04-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Glad you found your own answer. Yes, standard SD cards are required and they fit into the device in it's entirety and nothing sticks out. The 4Gb seems a good buy if you are happy with the price - I'm using this exact same card.

pheral
04-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Ah, it was you, thank you! It helped knowing someone using the Acer with a card of particular brand. There's not much to sway me between them otherwise.

I hadn't realised the standard cards don't stick out, that's great! I feel better now. It's nice to know the card can stay in there even when the device is in it's crystal case, which is really what i was concerned about.

Andy Whiteford
04-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Ah, it was you, thank you! It helped knowing someone using the Acer with a card of particular brand. There's not much to sway me between them otherwise.

I hadn't realised the standard cards don't stick out, that's great! I feel better now. It's nice to know the card can stay in there even when the device is in it's crystal case, which is really what i was concerned about.

Yes, it is exactly as that so you will have no concerns. I would certainly recommend the Adata 4Gb based on my experience with it.

pheral
04-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Excellent, thank you. I got it this morning and was surprised to see how teeny it is! :D

Andy Whiteford
04-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Excellent, thank you. I got it this morning and was surprised to see how teeny it is! :D

Are you new to memory cards? If so, I highly recommend you pick up a high speed memory card reader for transferring large files to the memory card. It will be faster and more reliable than doing so ActiveSync. Did you go for the 4Gb card?

pheral
04-27-2006, 01:13 PM
I am pretty new to them yeah, i have a CF in my digital camera but it transfers well by USB so i've never had to think about it. Despite being very confident with computers, getting used to a PDA way of doing things is a bit of an adventure!

I've read around about the painfully slow Synch speeds, and just last night my dad offered to buy a multi-card reader when he buys a CF reader for his new digital camera. So it's very timely that you mention it! What kind of speeds do you think i should be looking for, any advice? I'll be compressing lots of tv episodes and movies to transfer, so will be wanting to put pretty big files on there.

I've been checking your blog out too, looks like something i'll bookmark for sure, very helpful. :) I'm compiling a nice long list of links of addons and software i want to buy already.

Andy Whiteford
04-27-2006, 02:04 PM
For installing software and copying the odd mp3 track the file transfer mechanism through ActiveSync is fine however copying large files like movies etc. will see a much bigger speed benefit through a card reader although the newer generation of Pocket PCs like the n310 are much faster in this regard (ActiveSync). This is a good place to ask any questions you may have - we are all here to help.

pheral
04-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks. I'm very conscious though that i don't have time for another community online, so when i do ask questions i won't be able to give anything back to the forums by hanging around and contributing!

I'll definitely get round to all the things i want to ask eventually though, if i fail to find the info i need on Google and in the past forum threads.

Andy Whiteford
04-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Just by asking though, you are contributing as everyone else will be able to see the answers to your questions. Someone else may well have the same issue as you without realising until they read your question and possibly read a solution. ;)

pheral
04-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Lol, true, true!