View Full Version : Absolute Noodle baker II: x50v BIS contest

Cybrid
04-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Ok. I've had it!
Some years ago I had a file permanently glue itself into my BIS on the X5. I'd tried everything...in order soft reset, hard reset, desk top explorer, various format utilities, DOS commands using pocket console, even a ROM upgrade and couldn't remove the file.

Now I've had the same thing happen on the Dell x50v. :help:

In keeping with what seems to be a pattern. I am going to continue what I did last time and offer a reward to anyone who can tell me how to fix this.
Winner will get $20 USD Paypalled to him/her.

Rules: Verify that your suggestions have not already been tried! I do not want 900 "hard reset" suggestions.

Didn't work so far:

Soft reset,
Hard reset,
Desktop explorer, cannot find file
fileshredppc.exe (filenotfoundexception application::run+0xf frmmain::main+0xa)
Resco explorer (file not found)
Resco format:can't format selected storage card. Check if your card is unlocked.
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ can't work through windows mobile file explorer.
re-installing and un-installing PVTL

Darius Wey
04-24-2006, 01:39 AM
Cybrid, I'll do what I can to help you without the $20 incentive. Keep the cash to yourself, and buy some nice Pocket PC accessory. 8)

First of all, do you have the Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade? If this file is glued to your ROM, as you say, then an upgrade is most likely going to nuke it with all the heavy memory restructuring that Windows Mobile 5.0 performs. If after the upgrade, you'd rather revert back to Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, download and install the downgrade available from the Dell.com web site.

Now, I know not everyone has the upgrade, and some aren't willing to buy it, so if you're in that camp, let me know and we'll look at some alternative solutions.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-24-2006, 03:12 AM
Wasn't there an option to do a super hard reset? - by which I mean, reformating the BIS at the same time as the hard reset. I know that option exists for the Loox 720 (required three buttons to press instead of two), it might for the Axim. Menneisyys wrote a blog on that last year (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=how_do_i_hard_reset_my_pocket_pc&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1), though he was rather cryptic on the subject of Dell:

With Dell Axim devices, there're also ways of cleaning up the Built-In Storage (BIS).

You might want to give him a holler.

Cybrid
04-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Cybrid, I'll do what I can to help you without the $20 incentive. Keep the cash to yourself, and buy some nice Pocket PC accessory. 8)

First of all, do you have the Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade? If this file is glued to your ROM, as you say, then an upgrade is most likely going to nuke it with all the heavy memory restructuring that Windows Mobile 5.0 performs. If after the upgrade, you'd rather revert back to Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, download and install the downgrade available from the Dell.com web site.

Now, I know not everyone has the upgrade, and some aren't willing to buy it, so if you're in that camp, let me know and we'll look at some alternative solutions. Nope, I do not have WM5 for the Dell. Sorta figured I'd wait until the dust settled and a few updates were out :lol:

Not to worry, if the cash is not of interest feel free to name a favourite charity that you would rather support.

In addition, I don't know if this file might end up being the reason the upgrade might fail. Not that I'm not above risking it merely hope that there'd be a less intense way of simply getting it fixed.

Hishamh: Yes, It does appear to be rather cryptic. Off goes a PM.

Patrick Y.
04-24-2006, 06:08 AM

Now, I know not everyone has the upgrade, and some aren't willing to buy it, so if you're in that camp, let me know and we'll look at some alternative solutions. Nope, I do not have WM5 for the Dell. Sorta figured I'd wait until the dust settled and a few updates were out :lol:

Not to worry, if the cash is not of interest feel free to name a favourite charity that you would rather support.

In addition, I don't know if this file might end up being the reason the upgrade might fail. Not that I'm not above risking it merely hope that there'd be a less intense way of simply getting it fixed.

Hishamh: Yes, It does appear to be rather cryptic. Off goes a PM.

You can find WM5 upgrade for x50v here:
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=112012

Please understand, this is NOT illegal. The files were posted there originally to help users with "dead axims". As long as you're only using the upgrade to solve your BIS problem, it's OK.

Cybrid
04-24-2006, 06:14 AM
Some observations of interest.

Most explorers see the file. screen.txt (303b) but cannot find the file when asked to cut/copy delete it.

settings>memory>storage card says 3.87mb of the BIS is taken up.

Its a txt log file left by PVTL that seems to have been deleted ok except that somehow an invalid reference somewhere points to this file.

I use the BIS to install "must have" apps. That way the removal of a card doesn't hinder use. I hadn't filled it (had 20~Mb free) and when I'd had a few errors begin to develop, decided it was time for a rebuild. I hard reset and deleted the "program files" folder I had created and this file didn't delete as planned. :azz: Why couldn't I have learned not to trust Dell after my original X5 problem?

Cybrid
04-24-2006, 06:44 AM

Please understand, this is NOT illegal. The files were posted there originally to help users with "dead axims". As long as you're only using the upgrade to solve your BIS problem, it's OK. Nonetheless, I'm not sure I want to try a ROM upgrade just yet. There seems to be quite a few poster that had hiccups

Darius Wey
04-24-2006, 12:02 PM

World Vision and Make-a-Wish Foundation are some of my favourites. Of course, I have many favourites, but listing them all would kill the topic of this thread. :)

Some years ago I had a file permanently glue itself into my BIS on the X5. I'd tried everything...in order soft reset, hard reset, desk top explorer, various format utilities, DOS commands using pocket console, even a ROM upgrade and couldn't remove the file.

So back to your original comment: which format utilities have you tried? If I recall correctly, Resco File Explorer was, and still is, extremely efficient in formatting the BIS. Have you tried that?

Cybrid
04-24-2006, 06:25 PM
World Vision and Make-a-Wish Foundation are some of my favourites. Of course, I have many favourites, but listing them all would kill the topic of this thread. :)

So back to your original comment: which format utilities have you tried? If I recall correctly, Resco File Explorer was, and still is, extremely efficient in formatting the BIS. Have you tried that?Sure, World Vision and/or Make a wish it is.

Resco couldn't delete the file but I had not tried it as a format utility (learnt a new thing ;) I'll try it later after work.

Darius Wey
04-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Resco couldn't delete the file but I had not tried it as a format utility (learnt a new thing ;) I'll try it later after work.

Great, let us know how it works out. :)

It can take a while to format the BIS, so if it seems like Resco Explorer has stalled, just let the device sit for a while. The format will eventually finish. You may want to leave the device connected to the AC, so it doesn't switch off automatically.

burtcom
04-24-2006, 09:10 PM
I don't know if this is possible with Windows Mobile OS, but in UNIX I've seen situations where a file could not be deleted because it contains a space character as the first or last character in the filename.

Some file management programs could not delete a file thus named because it assumed that all file names cannot start or end with a space -- thus it was trying to delete "file.txt" instead of " file.txt"

In this situation I use the command line to remove the file, using quote marks to force it to read the entire name -- rm " file.txt"

There is a DOS-like command line floating around for WM 2003 - -but I dunno if there is for WM 05

Cybrid
04-26-2006, 05:30 AM
I don't know if this is possible with Windows Mobile OS, but in UNIX I've seen situations where a file could not be deleted because it contains a space character as the first or last character in the filename.

Some file management programs could not delete a file thus named because it assumed that all file names cannot start or end with a space -- thus it was trying to delete "file.txt" instead of " file.txt"

In this situation I use the command line to remove the file, using quote marks to force it to read the entire name -- rm " file.txt"

There is a DOS-like command line floating around for WM 2003 - -but I dunno if there is for WM 05Pocket Console

Darius,
Resco couldn't format the BIS.
Can't format selected storage card. Check if your card is unlocked.

Patrick Y.
04-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Isn't it easier to just call Dell and obtain a replacement?

Also, does that little file REALLY annoy you that much?

Cybrid
04-26-2006, 07:04 AM
Isn't it easier to just call Dell and obtain a replacement?

Also, does that little file REALLY annoy you that much?
Out of warranty :oops:

Ever get a sliver under a fingernail? :twisted:

No actually I did come to grips with it on my X5 but it just seems that the way the Dells address the BIS memory is prone to corruption. What happens next time? I might lose something valuable. This is more an exercise in understanding how things work. I'm pretty handy with most things but this has gotten me curious. :?:

Cybrid
04-30-2006, 05:43 AM

Please understand, this is NOT illegal. The files were posted there originally to help users with "dead axims". As long as you're only using the upgrade to solve your BIS problem, it's OK.
Well... Not getting too much in terms of alternate suggestions. I tried it. Scariest 30 min of my life. 8O BTW you weren't kidding about the slowness. even on a fully hard reset WM5, its slower than my old 2003SE setup which was loaded with all sorts of crap.

Anyway. I'll be downgrading when my heartrate steadies a bit. :?

Anyway, Look for my PM.

Contest is now closed.

Patrick Y.
04-30-2006, 06:04 AM
Well... Not getting too much in terms of alternate suggestions. I tried it. Scariest 30 min of my life. 8O BTW you weren't kidding about the slowness. even on a fully hard reset WM5, its slower than my old 2003SE setup which was loaded with all sorts of crap.

Anyway. I'll be downgrading when my heartrate steadies a bit. :?

Anyway, Look for my PM.

Contest is now closed.

Thanks, but I really don't want the money. This community is here to help PPC users for free. Also, I'm not the one who came up with the idea originally... :wink: