View Full Version : Java VM experts help please !

tdcdu
04-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Hi all,

I have been trying to run MegaMek (Classic Battletech game) on a Pocket PC for a long time now - without success. I renewed my efforts sometime ago to take advantage of the VGA screen on the 4700. I am sure my failure is due to my lack of knowledge regarding Java. I have tried using IBM's JVM and Jeode's JVM. Can anybody tell me whether it is possible to run MegaMek on a Pocket PC using a JVM and how this might be done ?

Thanks.

Cybrid
04-22-2006, 02:32 AM
I'm not an expert but please...
Have you verified the game is J2ME compliant?
Java2StandardEdition (J2SE) is the desktop version. J2MicroEdition is pocket pc version. The micro edition runs a smaller subset of commands. If the game is desktop based, it will have programming incompatibility.

Menneisyys
04-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi all,

I have been trying to run MegaMek (Classic Battletech game) on a Pocket PC for a long time now - without success. I renewed my efforts sometime ago to take advantage of the VGA screen on the 4700. I am sure my failure is due to my lack of knowledge regarding Java. I have tried using IBM's JVM and Jeode's JVM. Can anybody tell me whether it is possible to run MegaMek on a Pocket PC using a JVM and how this might be done ?

Thanks.

I've tested the game on my desktop. Much as, theoretically, it's possible to run the game on a PPC (it only uses JDK1.1 - nothing over JDK 1.2), I dont think it is worth trying to run it - the GUI will simply too big to fit into your screen, even in native VGA mode.