View Full Version : How does stand alone GPS devices compare to the ones use with Pocket PCs?

scarletknight96
04-21-2006, 01:17 AM
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either one?

stevenator65
04-21-2006, 03:24 AM
they cost a lot more but so the same thing. standalone devices are easier to use but more limited in function.

Stormswift
04-22-2006, 04:00 PM
I cannot compare for you because I do not have a standalone. I had reasons for buying a receiver and software separately. Price was the major consideration. I already have a pocket PC device so I did not have to buy a separate unit. That is a money saver for me. Then I did research and found the most inexpensive receiver that was available and worked with my device and then software that works with both device and receiver. Acide from the cost of my PDA which I use for work, etc the cost of the receiver was $87.00 (incl. shipping) and about the same for the software.

Cybrid
04-24-2006, 04:44 AM
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either one?

In my admittedly biased opinion, not well.

Perhaps it was my familiarity with PPC's but trying to program the built in units on a volvo and a cadillac left me feeling like the UI was designed by a blind monkey. Some of the Magellan display units out at my local electronics stores fared just as well.

If GPS is the only concern then yes, go right ahead.

If you have an ounce of geekiness and some PPC experience then a simpler solution is a PPC with an integrated receiver. Advantage is that you can save contacts and program routes directly to them versus saving the again in a new format for your GPS. add to that the additional functions you can do.

clbsvi
04-24-2006, 05:49 AM
In my own experience, a separate GPs receiver works better than one loaded into a PPC. There are lots of good products on the market. I've had excellent results with the DeLorme product line and Garmin makes good stuff too. Magellan receivers are OK but not for me. Color screen devices are pretty to look at but are hard on battery consumption because of the extra juice needed to drive the color display.

scarletknight96
04-28-2006, 03:03 AM
I just started a new job, which requires alot of travel in a new city. Give me feedback on how you GPS add-on helps you? IS it user-friendly and helpful?