View Full Version : How can I re-enable DHCP? Can't pull an IP

jpb
04-19-2006, 08:53 PM
All of a sudden, after several working months, my iPaq can't pull an IP address. When I click the settings and network adaptors, it does show an IP in the window where you can decide to have one assigned automatically or set one yourself (I have the auto setting). But in the "more" tab in the manager it doesn't show one, and it even says DHCP disabled. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out where I can re-enable it. It is definitely enabled at home as I checked that this morning. And, it is also okay at the office. I can even browse the web with Opera (the beta version that expires soon). With I.E. I get some proxy error, and Inbox doesn't even see that I'm connected to the internet. I have tried several things, including:

-soft resets
-disconnecting and reconnecting several times
-deleting all of the network settings for the various networks I've connected to since purchasing the iPaq
-etc., etc., etc.

Just an intereting note -- when I connect the device to the work wireless network, I can ping the ip with my office computer (the ip in the network adaptor settings). However, I get a seperate IP from whatismyip.com and when I ping that one it fails. I don't know if this sheds any light on the matter or not.

It seems, by that proxy message, that a proxy got set up within my device. Is there a way get rid of that? Is there a way to re-enable DHCP? I really appreciate any help. I am heading out of town (without a laptop) this weekend and would really like to be able to pull email when I have wifi available to me.

dlangton
04-20-2006, 03:33 AM
I had a similar problem, and I'm about 90% certain it was due to the uninstallation of a particular piece of software. While other software I used could connect, and I still had network access, PIE couldn't figure out what to do with any URL's. A hard reset fixed the problem, but none of my remaining backups were made from a time prior to the existence of the problem, so I had to reinstall my aps from scratch.

jpb
04-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks. I can't think of a program that I've deleted recently. I almost wonder if it happened in a synchronization with one of my PCs. Since it checks email (pop3 and imap -- not talking about the stuff local to the PC I'm syncing with), is it possible that the pocket pc might adopt the internet settings of the pc while getting my email? I was testing a few anonymizer programs recently (that mask your ip address). That was all done on a pc that I sync with.