View Full Version : Problems running uBook

iant54
04-19-2006, 12:44 PM
I should probably be posting this in the eBooks forum, but it's not entirely about uBook.

Because I had problems with Wifi on my Loox 720 freezing operations (it had worked fine up until about a month ago), and hard reset/restore back-up not solving the problem (obviously something had got corrupted, since the Wifi worked fine before doing the restore), I decided to do a hard reset on Good Friday, and manually install each of my programs.

Wifi was restored! When I reinstalled uBook, somewhere in the middle of the installations, it too worked fine. However, at some point later, when I tried running it, all that happened was that uBook appeared briefly on the title bar, then disappeared. The Recent Programs on the Start button shows that uBook ran, but it didn't work! :cry:

The only new thing that I could think that I'd installed that wasn't there in the previous installation was eReader Pro with two DRM'd titles, so I tried uninstalling them - but to no avail: uBook displayed exactly the same inactivity. I've since reinstalled eReader, and am trying iSilo and Haali Reader, but neither works like uBook! Despite its non-user friendly workings, I'm hooked on uBook - I could do another hard reset and reinstall, but I don't have the spare time to do it at the moment (maybe not until May Day Bank Holiday).

Has anyone got any thoughts on what I could try doing to ressurect uBook?

Glint
04-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Have you tried uninstalling uBook and reinstalling it? Also, did you make a backup (save a copy) of your program files before you did your fresh install? If you did, after reinstalling uBook, copy all of the files from your original uBook install and paste them into the new install folder, overwriting all files. This has worked for me in terms of keeping all my settings etc (a bit of a brute force way of doing it - I'm sure that there is a more elegant way), and may help you with your issues.

Good luck.

iant54
04-19-2006, 03:23 PM
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no success. I did take a copy of the Programs folder, so I'll try your suggestion (Ta!) tonight.

iant54
04-20-2006, 12:23 AM
The copy back of the uBook folder worked! Thank you very much, Glint!

Glint
04-20-2006, 10:51 AM
You're welcome iant54.