View Full Version : Text is removed from incoming emails. Why?

Silver5
04-16-2006, 04:33 AM
When I receive an email on my Qtek 9100 there are sometimes little bits of text missing. Periods! If someone uses "..." in a message sent to me, only one of the periods shows in the email. Instead of looking like it should, and therefore giving a particular meaning to what has been written, it appears that the sender has made an error. All of these emails show properly in Outlook so this is definitely something that happens only on the device.

Why does this happen? Is there a solution?

Jason Dunn
04-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Very strange, I've never heard of that before. What type of email server are you connecting to? POP? IMAP? Exchange?

Silver5
04-16-2006, 07:36 PM
It seemed to only happen with the Exchange server email, only when displayed on the device, and I have found that most times I have noticed it the email has come from an Outlook user. However, I just realized that it happens on the Pop3 inbox too.

Ah, I just thought of something...it might be something related to the format used by the sender. I will try a few more test emails and play with the format.

Ok, that was the problem. If the message is sent to me in Plain text format I do not have this issue. If it is sent using Rich text or HTML text the phone will not show all of the text properly (some is just missing). This is not really a big deal, rather it is just something that made/makes me wonder why it is even an issue at all, since email is one of the devices most important functions.

Janak Parekh
04-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Ah, I just thought of something...it might be something related to the format used by the sender. I will try a few more test emails and play with the format.
Indeed, I wonder if he's using the typographical ellipses character (e.g., … as opposed to three periods ...), and if the Pocket PC OS can handle that character. That could happen if Word is being used as the HTML editor, since it inserts typographical characters (curly quotes are another example, but I think the Pocket PC knows how to render those). I don't use HTML (or Word) for my email, so I haven't seen this behavior, but that's what I would start poking around first.

--janak

Darius Wey
04-17-2006, 04:18 AM
Indeed, I wonder if he's using the typographical ellipses character (e.g., … as opposed to three periods ...), and if the Pocket PC OS can handle that character. That could happen if Word is being used as the HTML editor, since it inserts typographical characters (curly quotes are another example, but I think the Pocket PC knows how to render those). I don't use HTML (or Word) for my email, so I haven't seen this behavior, but that's what I would start poking around first.

I was curious enough to check this out. Windows Mobile 5.0 can render '…' and '...'

Silver5
04-17-2006, 06:50 AM
I found it odd too, since this works properly in Word Mobile and I'm guessing it does as well in other WM5 programs, but for some reason Outlook mobile doesn't display this little bit of text properly if it is in HTML or Rich text. At least, it doesn't do so on my device.

I decided to see if it was related to my ROM version so I tried it with my MDA since it has the latest AKU2 ROM that came out (I didn't want to set up the 9100 from scratch again so it still has the i-mate K-Jam's ROM) and it exhibits this same quirk. Now that I've gotten it figured out and at least know what is happenning it doesn't bother me much. Nothing is perfect!

Darius Wey
04-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I found it odd too, since this works properly in Word Mobile and I'm guessing it does as well in other WM5 programs, but for some reason Outlook mobile doesn't display this little bit of text properly if it is in HTML or Rich text. At least, it doesn't do so on my device.

Interesting. It works in both Word Mobile and Outlook Mobile for me, and in the case of the latter, plain text and HTML e-mails.

Are you able to post your '...' character here? Perhaps it's different to this one, '…', and if so, I can test your particular character on my device.

Silver5
04-18-2006, 09:30 PM
I am not sure if I can post it, but I'll give it a try later. It isn't anything special as far as I know though. If I have Outlook set to send mail in HTML format and then send myself a message with three periods in a row, those peiods will show up as only one period in the mobile device, but they show as three (as they should) in the Outlook 2003 Inbox on my computer. The same is true for Rich Text.

I'll try to post one of the emails later on to show you.

Silver5
04-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Copy of one email I sent to myself:
--------
If I send an email using MS Word to compose from Outlook, some of the text…only the triple periods…seem to turn into a single period only when displayed on my WM5 device. It displays properly as “…” in my inbox when sent to me, but not on my phone where it is turned into “.” Intead of “…” that it should be.
--------

I'm not going to bother myself over this to much. If it doesn't work, it just doesn't work. I guess it will be fixed when Outlook mobile can finally handle HTML email.

Darius Wey
04-20-2006, 04:47 AM
I'm not going to bother myself over this to much. If it doesn't work, it just doesn't work. I guess it will be fixed when Outlook mobile can finally handle HTML email.

It works fine on my device. I can only think of one possibility as to why you may be experiencing this issue, and that has to do with the device's system font. You haven't changed the default font with Tweaks2K2 or Spb Pocket PC Tips & Tricks, have you?

Silver5
04-21-2006, 06:08 AM
Nope...no system font changes for me. I don't even know how. Thanks for being willing to lend assistance.