View Full Version : rx 1950, Despite the warnings I may just pick one up, anyone have one that can answer some questions?

Squid997
04-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Hello,
My old e-740 just bit the crap and I am ready to buy a new PPC. I am not willing to get one sold exclusivly in Europe due to guarantee issues (Acer would be my first choice but alas) and I am looking for size almost over all forms of function. The e 740 is a horribly clunky huge machine, so big that I rarely used it as I wanted to originally. I admittedly enjoyed the power it had, when it first came out I was very happy but it was just TOO big. Inevitably my friend with an old version of the rx 1950 (Forgot the nomenclature) ended up using his more becaause of the size. I dont want to get a huge PPC again cause I probably wont use all the functions but I will use some. Let me give you an example of the programs I will most certainly use:
Laridian Bible: I have purchased about 10 different add on programs and I want this to work easily and with some speed. I use the PPC often for Bible study.
Some, I mean SOME gaming: I have Everquest 1 and 2 and sometimes I will play them but nothing huge. Althought if the games have gotten better since when I first purchased EQ it was the best their was, but I would be happy just to play what I bought.
PIM: I constantly purchase upgrades and use Pocket Informant often. this is huge for me.
Music: Again, not a huge deal but If i have some time I like to hear music while I reed an E-book.
E-books: If the 740 werent so damn big I think most of my books would have been exclusively ebooks.
SPB Power Suite

Anyway that is what I really want to do with it. Checking email and stuff like that is "Fun" so the 802.x wifi is cool but I wont miss BT. Hot spots are just fine for me so internet surfing on my PPC isnt a big deal either.

Is the Ram Issue so bad that it cant even do the things I listed?

Thanks in advance.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-14-2006, 01:16 AM
I can't help with the recommendation, but my gut instinct tells me the 1950 will probably choke on Laridian.

Prime Steak
04-14-2006, 03:39 AM
I tried the rx1950 and it's slow. Go get an X51v instead. 8)

Squid997
04-14-2006, 06:25 AM
You know, I am really tempted to get one but it reminds me too much of my Toshiba e 740. Bulky, heavy and the battery sucked so you had to get the extended battery making it even bulkier and heavier which is why I didnt use it as much as I would a smaller one. Damn I cant believe in this day and age the number of Small capable pocket pc's are so limited in the US.

ADBrown
04-14-2006, 07:00 AM
The X51v's battery life is a lot better than you might think. You could get 7-10 hours of just reading if you crank down the backlight.

DanTheFlyingMan
04-14-2006, 10:17 AM
I have an rx1950, and it has been able to do everything that I have wanted it to do (music, movies, internet, games, ebooks, etc.). However, as it is the only Pocket PC I have had experience with, I am hardly the right to recommend it.

brundmc
04-14-2006, 12:27 PM
I enjoyed using a rx1955. The size of the device was amazing. My only warning to you is that it has very little memory. It won't be a problem listening to music and reading ebooks, as long as they aren't adobe pdf files. But I wouldn't count on your games running well. They might run but that is the only thing you listed that I would say you might have a problem with. I only got rid of mine because I missed bluetooth.

DanTheFlyingMan
04-14-2006, 12:39 PM
I enjoyed using a rx1955. The size of the device was amazing. My only warning to you is that it has very little memory. It won't be a problem listening to music and reading ebooks, as long as they aren't adobe pdf files. But I wouldn't count on your games running well. They might run but that is the only thing you listed that I would say you might have a problem with. I only got rid of mine because I missed bluetooth.Game-wise, mine has been fine with:

Wolfenstein 3D
Doom I&II
Age of Empires
Worms World Party
NES emulation
GB emulation
most SNES emulation (though finding emulators with low enough memory requirements was fairly hard)

The only real problem I have had so far was with Quake.

I do agree with staying away from PDF ebooks though, it took about 5 minutes to open one on mine. :(

brundmc
04-14-2006, 01:04 PM
I never really played any games on mine. I will say that in my experience, it wasn't as bad a pocket pc as everyone made it out to be. If it had bluetooth, I would still be using it today.

sapibobo
04-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Take a look support article in www.pdagold.com. Pavel Koza and friends held a simple test about music quality between various PDA and other musical gadget includes x51v and iPod Nano.

1950 is the winner and beats all of them.

haesslich
04-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Any iPaq beats most devices, sound-quality wise. :D However, I do have one very strong caution about the 1950 - don't run more than one or two programs at a time, and avoid PDF files like the plague. I've used one.. and sent it back after about two weeks, after running out of RAM every time I tried to open a PDF. It's okay for listening to music or watching videos, however.