View Full Version : My computer screen turned upsidedown!

jayson
04-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Hey, does anyone know the keyboard shortcuts to make your computer screen turn sideways and upsidedown? I did it yesterday by accident on one of my computers, and i can't fix it. lol. It's Ctrl-Alt-??????. It's somwhere by the delete key, 'cuz that's what i was trying to do! Thanks a bunch!

Edgar_
04-13-2006, 06:06 PM
You can correct it with "start|settings|screen" I believe. Some devices revert on a soft reset as well.

I cant seem to replicate what you did. Perhaps you have an application that is mapping the keystroke? Something like Pocketplus, CAlligrapher (pen commander), or such?

Steven Cedrone
04-13-2006, 06:35 PM
On my machine it's ctrl-alt-UPARROW that returns the screen to "normal" (I am sure it will vary based on card/software)...

Darius Wey
04-13-2006, 06:45 PM
I cant seem to replicate what you did. Perhaps you have an application that is mapping the keystroke? Something like Pocketplus, CAlligrapher (pen commander), or such?

I believe jayson is referring to his desktop.

Do you know what graphics card you have? Perhaps one from NVIDIA or ATI? Open Control Panel and explore your display settings (e.g. NVIDIA ForceWare drivers or ATI Catalyst drivers), and look for a tab that controls screen rotation. Most of the time, the keyboard shortcut is customised, so it's hard to provide a starting point for your possible key combination.

jayson
04-13-2006, 06:48 PM
it's not my pocket pc, but it's my computer. lol.

And i tried the Ctrl-Alt-Up arrow, and it doesn't work. Thanks for helping

thought.

Jayson51

Steven Cedrone
04-13-2006, 07:06 PM
it's not my pocket pc, but it's my computer. lol.

And i tried the Ctrl-Alt-Up arrow, and it doesn't work. Thanks for helping

thought.

Jayson51

Well, it was worth a shot! Turn your monitor over... :wink: :lol:

Edgar_
04-13-2006, 07:23 PM
uhmmmm - you posted it on a POCKETPC Forum - aren't we silly.

Well that's determined by your card driver. ATI and NVIDEA both have a control panel entry that let's you change rotation

Same idea though - it's determined by your software - not an XP standard.

What video card?

ctmagnus
04-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Whuh-oh... It's contagious! (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/3482/IMGP0472.JPG)

;)

Warning: the linked file is a rather large download.

jayson
04-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Wait, for off-topic we can talk about Desktop Computers right? just wondering. Sry if we can't. I read this forum on a website called Win-Drivers, and it said to press, ctrl-alt-any arrow over and over.

But that didn't work either.

lol, and if i turn my screen upsidedown, the mouse is still reversed. lol.
I just might take it in to Comp USA or something. Not a big deal.

Thanks for all your help though! :D

Edgar_
04-13-2006, 08:15 PM
No worries, I was commenting more on my inability to read your post - not that you posted a desktop question.

And from the looks of it, I didn't read Darius' either -DOH- :oops:

Do you know your video card? I'd hate if ou spend $50 on Compusa geek when you have resident geeks here for free

Edgar_

Note to self: Hit F5 and refresh, verify you've read all the posts - you dork! :roll:

Damion Chaplin
04-13-2006, 08:28 PM
The CTRL+ALT+Up Arrow pretty much only works with integrated Intel graphics. I've seen it on some SiS chipsets as well.

For ATI cards got to Display Properties>Settings Tab>Advanced Button.
In that window, there will be a tab labelled Monitor. Click that and it will lead you to the place to change screen orientation.

For NVidia, go to the same Advanced Button, click on GeForceFX Tab (or whatever your card is) and in the pop-out window, select NVRotate. Here you can change screen orientation.

Hope that helps.

jayson
04-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your advice! I GOT MY COMPUTER TO MAKE ITSELF BACK TO NORMAL!!!!!!!!! I pressed ctrl-alt and messed with keys above the arrow keys. I have no idea which one it was, and i still can't figure it out, but my computers back to normal. And sorry for not telling you what my graphics card was, but it's a ATI Raedon 900 or something. I really need to upgrade it.

Lol, Edgar your good! Thanks for everyone's help. I REALLY appreciate it!
:D . But now, i kinda want to know how i did that! It's a good April Foold's Joke. But i still have a year to find out how i did it!

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D 8)

Sincerely,

Jayson Minagawa

Edgar_
04-14-2006, 02:05 AM
For next time:

With ATI

Just goto DISPLAY PROPERTIES

Click on ADVANCED button under the SETTINGS TAB

This should bring up the ATOIpnael with all the ATI tab settings

click on ROTATION and near the bottom it should show what hot keys are what

Mine shows "Normal Landscape" as CTRL-ALT-DOWN
"180o" (upside down) as CTRL-ALT-UP

not sure which arrows though since the NumPad arrows are a different key code than the T bar arrows. So perhaps its the numPad ones not the dedicated ones.

Also in that window is radio button that you can select your rotation directly.

Darius Wey
04-14-2006, 03:41 AM
Wait, for off-topic we can talk about Desktop Computers right? just wondering. Sry if we can't.

You can post whatever you want in the Off-Topic forum. Just avoid religious or political discussions, and anything spam-related or warez-related as things tend to get ugly.

Back to the point, glad to see you got the issue solved by playing Keyboard Battleships. ;)