View Full Version : Over clocking pda phones

q-live
04-11-2006, 07:19 PM
well i heard there are software to over clock the xv 6700 and even the treo 700w. Is there one that over clocks every windows based phone..... im really talking more about the hp 6315..... i need to over clock it bad because its only 166mhz

Edgar_
04-11-2006, 08:52 PM
XCPUSCALAR is the best clocker on the market.

http://www.immiersoft.com/

Not sure how it reacts with Phone Edition. After all, stability of the device is key to using it as a phone, right? That and Battery life. Remember, battery life is directly proportionate to the speed of the clock.

Also, pure Hertz is no longer a definitive measurement of speed, especially on a PDA. You have XScale, OMAP etc chips that each treat the multitude of diverse memory and hardware configurations differently. Then, of course, you have carrier modifications that may cause the phone to fail at other speeds then the default.

So as we always say - backup, and backup often. You may need to hard reset to restore full functionality

jnev
04-12-2006, 12:28 AM
XCPUSCALAR is the best clocker on the market.

http://www.immiersoft.com/

Not sure how it reacts with Phone Edition. After all, stability of the device is key to using it as a phone, right? That and Battery life. Remember, battery life is directly proportionate to the speed of the clock.

Also, pure Hertz is no longer a definitive measurement of speed, especially on a PDA. You have XScale, OMAP etc chips that each treat the multitude of diverse memory and hardware configurations differently. Then, of course, you have carrier modifications that may cause the phone to fail at other speeds then the default.

So as we always say - backup, and backup often. You may need to hard reset to restore full functionality

clock speed itself does not affect battery life; voltage does. you can increase the clock speed all you want, and as long as the voltage stays the same, the battery life will as well. also, you said that the two vary directly, that's not true; they vary inversely. as voltage (not clock speed like you said) goes up, battery life goes down.

Edgar_
04-12-2006, 12:57 AM
I'm sorry but you are mistaken. I know from experience with this prooduct that faster processor clocking does indeed decrease battery life. It is also very well documented in numerous places on over clocking. Including the XCPUSCALAR webpage.

From the XCPUSCALAR FAQ and web page:

XCPUScalar allows you to dynamically scale the processor speed of your handheld Pocket PC 2002, Windows Mobile 2003, WM2003 SE, and Windows Mobile 5. It uses the power of the XSCALE processor and unlocks its dynamic scaling capabilities. You can scale the processor speed from 100 to 728MHz. By scaling the processor speed down, you can increase the battery life between recharges or increase the speed when you need more power for playing games or multimedia programs that require more CPU power.

And indeed documented by our own Menneisyys a well respected member and writer on technology on this board at:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=396422&
He says :
You may already have heard that the main processors (Central Processing Units, CPU's) in the Pocket PC consume more power (and, therefore, chew through your battery faster) when used at higher clock frequencies. Many people even underclock (that is, run at a lower frequency - for example, 208 MHz instead of the standard 400/520/624 MHz) their PDA's to achieve better battery life.

Thanks.
-Edgar

q-live
04-16-2006, 09:22 PM
ok i tried a couple of old versions and they didnt even come up. Then i tried the new version that suppose to support the hp 6315 and it doesnt work at all when i click on it. Is there another software tht does this?????

Edgar_
04-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Old versions? The 6700 isnt even supported until the latest release

Version 2.93

NEW: Support for More PDA's
Support for HP iPAQ hw6515, HP iPAQ hx21xx, i-Mate JasJar, O2 XDA Exec, Qtek 9000, Orange SPV M5000, Sprint (AudioVox) PPC-6700, HTC Universal clones, HTC Apache clones.

I'm not sure I want to know where you are obtaining old versions or why you would use them - but I can tell you that Immiersoft had put code in their software to fight hacked versions., do make sure you are using copies from them and their affiliates.

Download the latest trial and contact them for info. According to the above paste your device is fully supported.

TRIAL:
http://www.handango.com/affiliate/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?programId=45&affiliateId=479&productId=53564

They have an extensive forum off of their web[page that they are pretty good about responding to even pre-sales help.

Sven Johannsen
04-18-2006, 04:36 AM
You don't want to overclock a phone device. It'll make everyone sound like chipmunks. :wink: