View Full Version : Looking for a notes app

stevenf
04-11-2006, 12:47 AM
I'm looking to work a certain way with notes, and I'm wondering if an app like this exists...

I want to keep a folder of plain .txt files on my SD card. I'd like to be able to search through them for keywords, open them, make edits, save them again.

Doesn't seem like a tall order, does it?

So far, I've tried using Word, but the built-in Search facility doesn't seem to match text _inside_ Word docs or .txt files, only their _filenames_.

I looked at PhatNotes, but it seems to store everything in its own proprietary database format, and as far as I can tell, you can't export back to individual text files, just a big monolithic "text database".

The reason I want to use plain text files, is so I can pop out the card, pop it into ANY nearby computer, regardless of OS or available apps, and edit the files there also, without having to import/export or sync anything.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edgar_
04-11-2006, 02:09 AM
Hmm, way long time ago before I bought TextMaker (excellent program BTW, and supports Plain text and word, etc) I used a program called TOMBO. I had it on CE though, an E200. Never tried it on my WM2003SE HX4700. ( www.softmaker.com )

Its a freeware and I think it may do what you want

Check it out at http://tombo.sourceforge.jp/En/index.html
Also, phatpad (same ppl as Phatnotes)I believe takes std plaintext notes. No idea on search capability though.

Offhand. If the data is fixed and for reference only:

Resco File Explorer allows you to search contents of files and an inline viewer allows you to see the contents from explorer. www.resco-net.com Then of course you can double click the file and if its defined it will be opened by whatever editor you choose

stevenf
04-11-2006, 03:49 AM
Wow, Tombo looks like it does exactly what I asked for, and then some. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

If anyone else has suggestions, feel free to chime in. :)

Mister HP
04-14-2006, 07:03 AM
If that does not work, try Trenotes- a great notes app with a desktop version included. Try looking at Phatnotes V. 3- probably the best handwriting note app on the market.