View Full Version : Outlook Synchronization Won't Work

Cameron Shantz
04-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I have a new Dell Axim X51 and I can't get it to sync with Outlook. The device is going through the process of syncing correctly but it comes up with an error message that it encountered an error on the desktop, 85010014. The Windows help page basically says to upgrade to ActiveSync 4.1 which is the version of the software that I have loaded.

I set up the pda on my home computer with Outlook 2002 and it worked fine. My laptop Outlook is version 2003. I have reinstalled the activesync a number of times. My next thought is to uninstall and reinstall Outlook completely but I won't go there becuase I don't want to loose years of information!

I am wondering if the problem is that the Outlook files are in a strange place on my laptop and that active sync can't find them? Activesync doesn't seem to have a place to direct it to the location of Outlook on the computer.

Anyone have a suggestion? This is really frustrating as the reason I switched from Palm to Windows Mobile was to have a better synchronization with Outlook. So Far that hasn't happenend.

Cameron

Nurhisham Hussein
04-09-2006, 02:32 PM
While I can't help you, it may help to know you aren't alone:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47124&highlight=85010014

Darius Wey
04-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts, Cameron.

My next thought is to uninstall and reinstall Outlook completely but I won't go there becuase I don't want to loose years of information!

Error 85010014 is related to Outlook, so uninstalling and reinstalling may help. If you're worried about losing your personal information, backup your PST file before uninstalling.

To do this, select File > Import and Export. Choose 'Export to a file', then 'Personal Folder File (.pst)'. You'll be presented with a list of items to export. The best is to select 'Personal Folders', ensuring that the 'Include subfolders' box is ticked. From there, you can choose where to save the file.

Once you've uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook, you can import that data back in by following similar steps. If you still get the same error, then there may be an issue with your actual personal information data. To attempt correcting this, you will need to check your PST file for errors. The ScanPST.exe tool can help you in this instance. To locate it, use the Start > Search function to search your computer and/or Office CDs.

If the tool finds no errors, or it finds errors but does not solve your problem, try creating a new PST file (File > New > Outlook Data File) and manually move all your data to that PST. Once moved, set the new PST as the default PST for mail delivery (Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or Change Existing E-mail Accounts > Next), then remove the old PST from Outlook (File > Data File Management > Remove). Delete your existing ActiveSync partnership and create a new one so that your Pocket PC can attempt to pull data from the new Outlook PST file.

Any luck?