View Full Version : AS4.1 and Categories

dougeks
04-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Has anyone discovered a workaround or some alternate software for syncing via category because despite what microsoft think there is simply no way I want to sync all of my desktop data to my mobile device.

I have three seperate desktop PC's serving different purposes and I dont want all the data on my mobile device so I am putting it in manually and that sucks beyond belief so if anyone knows a way around it I'd appreciate it greatly.

I also hope the boys and girls at microsoft are monitoring these forums and the next AS software will revert to allowing their customers to work the way they want to not the way microsoft think they want to.

Sorry everyone rant over now. :oops:

buzzard
04-08-2006, 03:28 PM
While I was using Wm5 and Activesync 4.1 on my 4700 I found that all tasks were copied over and you were not given any options whatsoever. Since I went back to using 2003SE but still using Activesync 4.1, I now can select categories or any other options that I used to have available when I used Activesync 3.8. This "no option" problem seems to be a Wm5 issue rather than an Activesync problem.

Also, if you use the notes portion of tasks (or contacts) there is a size limitation of 5,120 bytes for the notes field. Again this is a Wm5 rule because when using 2003SE the note size is unlimited.

Edgar_
04-08-2006, 05:52 PM
AS4.1 has two sets of Code.

When it detects a WM2003 device it runs the old code; WM5 runs the new code.

It is AS not the device. This has been documented a number of places.

buzzard
04-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Edgar, thanks for the information, I did not know that. I guess it's important to know whether the problem is with Activesync or with Wm5 although I'm not sure it really matters. From what you describe Activesync won't allow categories when using Wm5 so even though Activesync may be the trigger, the bullet is Wm5.

bajajoe
04-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Open active sync and choose tools/ options and you can select the things you want to syn for each computer. e.g contacts etc.Hope this helps so that we dont :deadhorse:

Edgar_
04-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Open active sync and choose tools/ options and you can select the things you want to syn for each computer. e.g contacts etc.Hope this helps so that we dont

A bit rude.

You are wrong. It is not an issue of simply selecting an item to synch or defining your options. Categories are no longer supported under AS4.1 and WM5. If you feel we are beating a dead horse, please ignore the thread and move on. We are here to help people not criticize.

maxnix
04-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Open active sync and choose tools/ options and you can select the things you want to syn for each computer. e.g contacts etc.Hope this helps so that we dont

A bit rude.

You are wrong. It is not an issue of simply selecting an item to synch or defining your options. Categories are no longer supported under AS4.1 and WM5.
I wonder what MS is thinking when they make AS less flexible and less functional?

Who is in charge of Windows Mobile, Scott McNealy?