View Full Version : Problems with WM5 and syncing

David_C
04-07-2006, 10:24 AM
I just installed WM5 on my Ipaq 4700x, installed Active Sync 4.1 (first thing done actually), got the Ipaq up and running, but I can't get it to create a partnership.

I am stuck being a guest user. I have uninstalled Active Sync, deleted the active sync folder, reset the computer, PDA, I never can get to the create partnership screen.

I can't hard reset the PDA (unless I am doing something wrong, very possible). Not sure what else to do :)

Edit: I can explore the PDA via the connection, just can't make a new partnership.

Dave C

ChristopherTD
04-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Are you connecting via a USB Hub, or directly to the PC? For some reason on my Thinkpad AS4 is very fussy about connections and only works (if it could ever be said to work) when connected directly to a USB port on the Thinkpad.

FWIW, I have also given up trying to get it to sync Outlook mail folders other than the default "InBox". It works once or twice, then generates "Critical" errors, and unticks all the other folders (whether they are top level or sub folders).

With AS 3.8 I was able to do both these things, WM5/AS4 won't!

David_C
04-07-2006, 11:36 AM
I am using a USB connection, no serial port on my machine.

Dave

applejosh
04-07-2006, 05:15 PM
He was asking if you plug directly into your machine or plug into a USB hub (a little box outside the machine which usually turns one USB port into multiples, also can be something integrated into a monitor or printer). Sometimes ActiveSync doesn't work when connecting through a USB hub and must be directly connected to a port on the computer itself.

Might also check the ActiveSync app on the iPAQ itself and see how many machines you have listed in the Options. Limit should be two (and one direct Exchange server connection if that is applicable).

David_C
04-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Ahhh ok :)

No, I plug it directly into the computer, no hub is involved.

Under Active Sync on the handheld, the only avaible options are:

Add server source
Connections-When clicked, I have the USB when cradled item checked.
Connect via IR

Dave

David_C
04-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Found out what the problem was. I was looking thought my Add/Remove programs directory, and found DOTNET2.0 on there.

So, I delted it, and VIOLA, it worked :)

I also had to disable the free Zone Alarm, seems I can't edit the ports in the free version :(

applejosh
04-09-2006, 01:10 AM
I can see where the firewall would cause issues. Kind of interesting that .NET 2.0 would cause issues given Microsoft's push in that direction. I think I have .NET 2.0 on my system at work (will have to check on Monday) and I can sync there. Interesting.

jffcurt
04-09-2006, 04:37 PM
I have a Treo 700w and I noticed right off the bat that WM5 at least on mine takes ALOT longer to sync. It worked fine on my office comp. for about 2 weeks then I started getting a msg. that active sync was unable to sync and to start over. And starting over didn't work so I haven't been able to sync at work for about a month. I haven't tried reinstalling active sync and I'm sure that may help but if it doesn't give me a reason why it can't sync and tells me just to start over it's probably going to do it again.

Anybody else with this problem. Oh, and now it takes 4 or 5 minutes on my laptop to sync. It connects, just doesn't sync.

Don't know if this is a problem with any either but I normally have to soft reset my Treo 3 or 4 times a day. It's getting kind of ridiculous.

Jeff

David_C
04-10-2006, 08:36 PM
I to have noticed that it is taking a LOT longer to even get recongnized and then finally sync.

Plus, I can't sync at my office computer, for some reason it comes up as a GUEST on that machine.

I am pondering if I should downgrade back to 2003...

Dave