View Full Version : Which version of VS do I need?

Mark Johnson
04-06-2006, 08:55 AM
OK, so I think I'm starting to get it now, I've been researching this a bit...

Microsoft gives away Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition, but that won't let you open/edit/create PocketPC projects right? So if I want to "play around" with making PPC VB apps, I'm going to have to cough up $299 for Visual Studio Standard?

I hope I'm wrong, but this seems to be the situation. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is how it is? I've got VB2005EE installed, but it seems to "no hablo" the .ebp sample project I found.

Kind of a bummer. I'm betting it will cost me a lot less to pay someone to just write the super-simple app I need than $299, but I was hoping to be able to at least get some idea of the current state of VB programming for PPC.

Given how insanely complex Microsoft has made the platform (is the target WinCE, PocketPC, Windows Mobile 5, .net 1.1, Compact .net 2.0, etc. etc., etc. I no longer have any remote clue???) you'd think you'd at least be able to "get your foot in the door" as a hobbyist without paying anything.

It really easy for me to imagine that I'd spend $299 and then find out "oops, you still can't make the app you want because you have an x50v and that's shipped as a PocketPC platform device, not WindowsMobile SE 2005 platform device and has Compact .Net 1.2.4 revision D Platinum Edition, not the current .New.NET Framework-Of-The-Month blah blah blah..."

Darius Wey
04-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition does not support Smart Device development; only the Standard Edition (and better) does.

Do note that you can still create applications for Windows Mobile 5.0 without Visual Studio 2005. Check out this blog post (http://pluralsight.com/blogs/jimw/archive/2006/02/02/18535.aspx) by Jim Wilson for more information. However, you may find the Visual Studio experience to be significantly better enough that it's worth paying the $299 for.

A good way to get started is to order the Windows Mobile 5.0 Developer Resource Kit. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/howto/resourcekit/default.aspx) That way, with the free trial version of Visual Studio 2005, you can decide whether or not you want to pay for the full version.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-06-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't believe VS2005 will cater for eVB programs for PPC, whatever the version. VB generally yes, but not embedded VB, which is what PPCs support. I'm not even sure if the runtimes are even compatible with WM5 - MS dropped support for eVB three years and 2 OS versions ago.

Guest979
04-06-2006, 04:24 PM
I don't believe VS2005 will cater for eVB programs for PPC, whatever the version. VB generally yes, but not embedded VB, which is what PPCs support. I'm not even sure if the runtimes are even compatible with WM5 - MS dropped support for eVB three years and 2 OS versions ago.

I don't think they are talking about embedded VB... Visual Studio .NET 2003 and 2005 allow you to develop in .NET and .NETcf, and .NETcf programs will run on handhelds (assuming the versions match up, e.g. only WM2003 and WM5 can use .NETcf 2.0).

Mark Johnson
04-07-2006, 12:01 AM
A good way to get started is to order the Windows Mobile 5.0 Developer Resource Kit. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/howto/resourcekit/default.aspx) That way, with the free trial version of Visual Studio 2005, you can decide whether or not you want to pay for the full version.

That's what I'm looking for! Perfect! Thanks Darius!

I'm still a bit fuzzy on if my Axim x50v is a PocketPC 2002SE device or a PocketPC 2003 device, or if I'll even want to update it to a Windows Mobile 5 device, etc. So having a free kit to play with and see what happens is the way to go here. I'm glad Microsoft is still keeping the door open for hobbyists.

Too bad the Visual Studio trial component isn't downloadable. Oh well, I'll just wait expectantly for the DVD in the mail!

I appreciate all the feedback guys!