View Full Version : Won't Sync - Done something stupid

SHC
04-06-2006, 08:52 AM
I downgraded from WM5 back to WM2003SE on my iPAQ 4700. I had a real problem with alarms not going off and getting multiple alarms for the same events. Used MeMMAid to get rid of duplicate events in the notification queue but accidentally deleted them all! :oops:
Now I can't sync with my PC and I think it's probably related.
I restored from a backup. Still won't sync. Removed, re-installed activesync.
Is there any way to get my ipaq to sync without a hard reset? I've been through all the troubleshooting guides I can find .

Darius Wey
04-06-2006, 09:16 AM
With all the deleted entries and failed restorations, it sounds like your Pocket PC is in a state of no return. With all the pain you'd potentially go through trying to get your Pocket PC back to a functional state, a hard-reset is probably the easiest way out - or is that totally not an option?

SHC
04-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi Darius, Congrats by the way!
Well I thought the restore from back up would have fixed it but it didn't. So I'm reluctant to go the hard reset route because I could then restore again from the backup and end up in the same position. I fear that I will have to hard reset and start from scratch. Which is a shame because apart from being unable to sync its working fine now!

Darius Wey
04-06-2006, 09:35 AM

Thanks. :)

Well I thought the restore from back up would have fixed it but it didn't. So I'm reluctant to go the hard reset route because I could then restore again from the backup and end up in the same position. I fear that I will have to hard reset and start from scratch. Which is a shame because apart from being unable to sync its working fine now!

This may sound like a stupid question, but is this a backup file from when your device was running Windows Mobile 5.0 or Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition?

SHC
04-06-2006, 09:58 AM

Thanks. :)

This may sound like a stupid question, but is this a backup file from when your device was running Windows Mobile 5.0 or Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition?

No, I took a backup just before "I did something stupid"!
looks like the backup doesn't include the notification queue.

Darius Wey
04-06-2006, 11:08 AM
No, I took a backup just before "I did something stupid"!
looks like the backup doesn't include the notification queue.

Hmm, odd. The "hard reset + reinstall applications from scratch" seems like the best option from here. If you keep at it, you can probably get it done in an hour - far quicker than what it'd take to debug the current problem.

SHC
04-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Looking at memmaid, I can add notification events. Do you have any idea which event(s) might be missing? I could then add them myself. Otherwise you are right I will start from scratch.

Darius Wey
04-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Looking at memmaid, I can add notification events. Do you have any idea which event(s) might be missing? I could then add them myself. Otherwise you are right I will start from scratch.

Unfortunately, notification events tend to be device and user specific, so I'd be taking a stab in the dark here if I was to guess which ones you should add.

DinarSoft
04-06-2006, 11:32 PM

To be able to sync with the PC you need to add
target "\windows\repllog.exe"
when an "RS232 connection is detected"

SHC
04-07-2006, 07:20 AM

To be able to sync with the PC you need to add
target "\windows\repllog.exe"
when an "RS232 connection is detected"

That did the trick! Thanks a million.
That is a perfect example of the value of these forums and the help given by the developers who browse them too.
Thanks again.

yash5189
11-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem. i had installed memmaid to clear some space/memory and acciddentally deleted the active sync notification.

however i didnt know then, and after memmaid cleaned some space (and deleted the notification) i removed it thinkin ill free up some more space that way,

however, on my next connection to my desktop i realised that activesync wont work and memmaid was gone!

they say this happens on the memmaid website & i quote "ActiveSync stopped working after I deleted some notification queue entries, what did I do wrong?
This is because you manually deleted a crucial notification in the notification queue (that's ActiveSync).
To get this back you don't need to Hard-Reset, you need to create it again

In MemMaid,

Go to the notification Queue tab and tap [Add]
Select "An Rs232 connection detected" in the event
Select \windows\repllog.exe in the target
Tap [ok]
Now you can connect to ActiveSync."

but i dont have Memmaid anymore!! & because active sync is gone...i cant install it!

can someone help me restore active sync?? i cant do a hard reset!!

-Yash