View Full Version : do i need .NET compact framework 2.0 on my ppc

isajoo
04-05-2006, 06:00 AM
perhaps i have missed some info, but a couple of months back i needed .net cf 1.0 to make a few programs work on my ppc... but the new update 2.0 version has me stumped... dont know if i really need it... no program has asked for it and i still install new programs on my ppc... Question is do i need it, because i tried to install it on my sd card or even flash rom... but it still installed on the main rom so the space it consumes is sort of an issue, its a few megs, which i could really use the more of. plus can i uninstall 1.0 off the ppc?what, if any, are the advantages... makes me think of xp updates that take up 100's of meg and dont know what they do...thats a bit off topic!

Menneisyys
04-05-2006, 07:56 AM
perhaps i have missed some info, but a couple of months back i needed .net cf 1.0 to make a few programs work on my ppc... but the new update 2.0 version has me stumped... dont know if i really need it... no program has asked for it and i still install new programs on my ppc... Question is do i need it, because i tried to install it on my sd card or even flash rom... but it still installed on the main rom so the space it consumes is sort of an issue, its a few megs, which i could really use the more of. plus can i uninstall 1.0 off the ppc?what, if any, are the advantages... makes me think of xp updates that take up 100's of meg and dont know what they do...thats a bit off topic!

You don't need it unless a program (for example, Hitchhiker, SMS Notifier) explicitly requires it.

However, it's possible to move out almost everything out of the main storage to an alternative medium to free up some 5 Mbytes. I'll publish an article on this question later.

angler
04-05-2006, 01:35 PM
In the hitchhiker webpage I found a software to detect which version of .NETcf in both laptop and device. The detection software link is:

http://www.kasuei.com/download/NetCFVersion1.0.exe

After installing NETcf v2, I used the detection software to check my iPAQ hx4700 with WM5 which still shown "You are running .NET Compact Framework SP3 (1.0.4292.0)" There is nothing changed before and after installing NETcf v2.[/url]

applejosh
04-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't think that program has been updated to detect .NET CF 2, and it's just detecting the .NET CF 1.0SP3 that's in ROM. (At least that's how I'm interpretting that on my X51v). The program hasn't been updated in a little while, and I'm guessing there were enough changes to ver. 2 (like different filenames) to avoid detection by the program. Just a guess on my part, though.

isajoo
04-05-2006, 06:48 PM
found a bit more info...
link
http://www.feederreader.com/IdentifyOS.html

There are two main versions of the .NET Compact Framework currently
available: .NET Compact Framework 1.0 and .NET Compact Framework 2.0.
There are several Service Packs that essentially 1) take up some storage
space on your device and 2) fix bugs in earlier versions of the Compact
Framework. All devices with Windows Mobile 5.0 are delivered with .NET
Compact Framework 1.0 SP3.

What this means is that if you have the Compact Framework installed on
your device, then one of the following identifiers completely specify the
version you have installed on your device:
.NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP1
.NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP2
.NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3
.NET Compact Framework 2.0

To determine the version of Compact Framework you have available in your
device, you can go to the File Explorer and go to My Device | Windows and
tap on the executable "cgacutil". This will display some numbers like
Microsoft (R) .NET Compact Framework [1.0.4292.00]. The following list will
tell you which version of the Compact Framework that is installed on your
device:

CF1.0 RTM = 1.0.2268.0
CF1.0 SP1 = 1.0.3111.0
CF1.0 SP2 Recall = 1.0.3226.0
CF1.0 SP2 Beta = 1.0.3227.0
CF1.0 SP2 Final = 1.0.3316.0
CF1.0 SP3 = 1.0.4292.00
CF2.0 RTM = 2.??

In this case "RTM" is the earliest version. (It stands for "Ready To
Manufacture".

glad to know i can keep my ram, thank u.

Patrick Y.
04-06-2006, 06:02 AM
You don't need it at all unless some program requires it. It has to be installed to the main memory BTW.

Sooner Magic
04-24-2006, 04:16 AM
Menneisyys-

I would be very interested in your article on moving .NET to an alternative storage medium. I have been considering the installation of Hitchhiker, however I do not want to give up 5 MB of precious memory which would be required.

When can we anticipate this tutorial?

Thank you.

Patrick Y.
04-25-2006, 06:36 AM
Menneisyys-

I would be very interested in your article on moving .NET to an alternative storage medium. I have been considering the installation of Hitchhiker, however I do not want to give up 5 MB of precious memory which would be required.

When can we anticipate this tutorial?

Thank you.

I'm not sure, but I think it's impossible. Some stuff just HAVE to be installed to the main memory. Try the free version of PocketWinc instead... Hitchhiker is really buggy currectly and PocketWinc does not require NET framework.

Sooner Magic
04-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Patrick-

Great idea...however, I have ROM 1.10 on my iPAQ 4150 which does not work with pocket winc. I was a long time user of pocket winc, but with the ROM upgrade, I am out of luck.

I'll gladly welcome any other ideas.

burtcom
04-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Take a look at the Compact Framework 2.0 beta announcement currently on the front page of this site -- supposedly this version can install most of itself to the Storage Card...

Menneisyys
04-26-2006, 03:25 PM

You don't need it unless a program (for example, Hitchhiker, SMS Notifier) explicitly requires it.

However, it's possible to move out almost everything out of the main storage to an alternative medium to free up some 5 Mbytes. I'll publish an article on this question later.

OK guys and gals, here's the tutorial: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48314

Patrick Y.
04-27-2006, 03:47 AM
WOW! 8O You learn something new everyday. Thanks!

isajoo
04-27-2006, 04:07 AM
opps, wrong one.