View Full Version : WMP "The parameter is incorrect."

Godsongz
04-04-2006, 03:39 AM
Brand new Acer n311, wifi connection to home network, directory on main computer shared to the network, mapped network drive with Resco Explorer, open mp3 file and get this...

http://crossfire.org/images/wmp.jpg

"The parameter is incorrect"? What parameter? I can open picture files and txt and doc files with no problem, but any mp3 files give me this error. Any ideas anyone? Is this a problem with the mapped drive, a problem with WMP? The same file copied to an SD card plays fine in the Acer.

What a crappy error message. How vague can you get Microsoft?

Nurhisham Hussein
04-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Have you tried other players?

Godsongz
04-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Mortplayer 3.3 doesn't work either, but gives a better error at least. The share I'm hitting is on a computer called "DSP" and the share name is "MP3", so Resco Explorer sees "\\DSP\MP3" right? The wifi link is good enough to let me copy that file to the PPC, but if I try to play it directly from the share then Mortplayer says it can't find the "\Network\mp3" directory. \Network? Shouldn't that be \\DSP?

What am I missing?

Otherwise, Mortplayer is sweet! Especially with the "mypod" skin.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-05-2006, 02:04 AM
\Network? Shouldn't that be \\DSP?

Nope, "Network" is the right folder name. In the Windows Mobile file explorer, all network shares are dumped into the "Network" folder - you see the same thing in WinXP (think network neighbourhood).

I'm speculating right now that the mp3 entry in your registry might be causing a problem (some silly thing like quote marks out of place or something), so you might want to use Resco to check the file association.

Guest979
04-05-2006, 02:08 AM
Are you sure the file is free of DRM? The Windows XP version of Windows Media Player tends to "infect" files even if you personally rip them from a Redbook CD.

Godsongz
04-05-2006, 02:11 AM
This is interesting, and gets around my problem without really answering it...

If in Mortplayer, I do Menu | Open Dialog | Open | Other Files, and then type in the path \\dsp\mp3, then I get a listing of the files on the network share, and THEY PLAY :)

So apparently the problem is in clicking on them in Resco Explorer, like it's not passing the correct path to the player somehow.

Update: and by creating favorites in Mortplayer for my network shares, I can completely side-step Resco Explorer and still get to all my music painlessly.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-05-2006, 05:39 AM
That's great to hear! You might want to try out Total Commander, or GSFinder+ as alternatives to Resco Explorer - they're freeware, and come close in function.

gwinter
04-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Anyone know what is the cause of the problem in WMP? This occurs on an X50v with WM5 upgrade. It was running ok with WM2k3SE. Not sure if the OS is the problem or the updated WMP.

dabox2
06-05-2006, 12:58 PM
well seems to me it has nothing to do with the wmp 10 streaming capabilities on the pocket pc. Because if you take any mp3 file and convert it to m4a file format and then stream from you pc to pocket pc using wmp 10 then it will work. The same goes for videos. If you use your camcorder on you pocket pc then save it to your home pc and then stream it through wmp 10 on the pocket pc, it will work just fine. So seems to me it's the way wmp 10 looks at mp3's over a network (microsoft maybe crippled this who knows)

jlbunting
06-24-2006, 05:19 AM
I had this problem.
I was able to solve it by turning off the proxy server setting in my connection. I have cingular 8125.

so far WMP works over the internet but there is still problems paly some files over my network.

victore
07-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Based on the comments in this thread, there is no definite answer to why you can't play media files using WMP 10 on a WM 5 device using WiFi?