View Full Version : I need some help with gmail and outlook.......

nosmohtac
04-02-2006, 08:17 AM
I have had this problem since I got my gmail account, and have never gotten it working right yet. I don't like to check my mail on the web page, so I enabled pop and configured my outlook settings according to gmail's configuration page. I receive my emails just fine, but I can't get outlook to connect to gmail's outgoing server, so I can't send or reply to any emails from within outlook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Clark

Edgar_
04-02-2006, 09:27 AM
From a pocket Outlook? I have no problems.

One item is to make sure you haven't turned off SSL using Tweaks2k, Pocket Tips, Pocket Mechanic, etc. Gmail requires SSL to be enabled. Also, make sure your ports are configured correctly, Gmail Doesn't use the standard port 443, they use:

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL: pop.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 995
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587

As I said above, make sure you have the "use SSL" box ticked and you don't have SSL turned off with a tweak.

Alternatively, you can use your carrier's outbound SMTP server, it doesnt have to be Google's - contact your carrier or check their support page for how to set this up.

BTW, GMail Webail via XMTL (www.gmail.com/xmtl ) is actually quite nice, at least on my 4700 with SE_VGA it is. Quite readable and easy to use. I use calligrapher with it with no problems.

-Edgar