View Full Version : mp3's and wma's as ring tones?

lole_34
03-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi I have the xv6700. In the manual it says that I can set custom ring tones. The manual says upon syncing with windows meida player you select windows then rings then you sync. the sond is then suposed to be in your ringer drop box. i tried this and it went into my media player. Did I miss somthing? I am not using a storge card yet, could this be the problem? Has anyone made this work?

Heather :(

Darius Wey
03-31-2006, 12:25 AM
Try copying it manually to your \Windows\Rings folder (using ActiveSync's Explore function). Depending on your OEM customisation, you may or may not get the MP3s to show up in the drop-down box, but the WMAs should.

lole_34
03-31-2006, 12:45 AM
Okay this is the wierd part. When I have my PPC plugged into the computer my windows media player shows that i have a windows/rings folder......................but when i hit exploer on the activesync i do not have a windows/ring folder! and I can not find it! I tried to create a windows folder and it would not let me. Any Ideas?

Darius Wey
03-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Okay this is the wierd part. When I have my PPC plugged into the computer my windows media player shows that i have a windows/rings folder......................but when i hit exploer on the activesync i do not have a windows/ring folder! and I can not find it! I tried to create a windows folder and it would not let me. Any Ideas?

You'll need to direct yourself to the root directory. When using ActiveSync's Explore function, you automatically get taken to My Documents. You'll want to go one level up, so double-click the "My Windows Mobile-based Device" icon at the top. From there, you'll see the Windows directory, and within it, the Rings directory.

lole_34
03-31-2006, 01:09 AM
I hit "up" and it took me to my computer so i selected my device then dubble clicked on "my windows mobile based device" and then I have the folders "documents and setting","program files" and all fo those but no windows file. Do you think verizon took it out?

Heather

Nurhisham Hussein
03-31-2006, 01:38 AM
:lol: Hardly likely, that's where the operating system is!

What's more likely is that your explorer is set to ignore hidden and system files and folders. To get over this, on your desktop explorer, select "Tools->Folder Options" from the menubar. Next, click on the "View tab", and change the option for "Hidden files and folders" from "Do not show..." to "Show hidden...". That should fix it on your desktop side - be aware that this is a global change which you might want to change back afterwards, just for safety's sake.

On your PDA it's even simpler - Open file explorer, tap'n'hold on any empty space (scrolling all the way down, and tapping below the last entry is a good bet). On the context menu that pops up, click on the "View all files" option. You can then proceed with Darius' directions.

lole_34
03-31-2006, 01:57 AM
I adore you both! I changed my pc to show hidden files and BAM it was there! its all good and I now have happy music! I am no longer in jingle hell!