View Full Version : Using Bluetooth Headphone with iPAQ (with hp 3715 and Sonorix in particular)

chrischarles2002
03-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Since there is no software provided with the Sonorix OBH-0110, and there are no updates on the Sonorix WebSite for iPaq, you must download the updated BIOS and the updated driver from the HP website. It says the update is only for the iPaq Pocket PC h5500 series and / or the iPaq h5555 Pocket PC, but it will work fine for the 3715 and I'm sure other Bluetooth enabled iPaqs. Bluetooth Audio and / or Bluetooth High Quality Audio is NOT part of the iPaq rx 3715 default load, under the "Bluetooth Connection Wizard" , which is the Bluetooth service that is required on the 3715 in order to connect to ANY Bluetooth audio device. The Sonorix OBH-0110 supports A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) that allows it to connect to the iPaq and also manipulate the play/pause, next track and volume controls from the headphones. The "previous" track only goes to the beginning of the current track, and does not go the previous track.

Step 1: Download HP iPAQ rx3700 Series Mobile Media Companion ROM Update

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/22475.html
or
Go to "software and drivers" for the iPaq 3715 on the www.hp.com site

Step 2: Download HP iPAQ Bluetooth Stereo Headphones Driver Update

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/22475.html
or
Search for "HP Bluetooth Headphone" in case they change the URL

Once completed, and your iPaq is reset (using reset button underneath the iPaq), you should now see the "High Quality Audio Setup" choice in the "Bluetooth Connection Wizard".

From that point on, things should be fairly simple, but tedious. When your iPaq auto powers off, the Bluetooth connection is severed, and there is no auto-connect with the headphones with iPaq, as it does with Bluetooth enabled cell / mobile phones. At least once per day, I must perform at least one of the following actions:

1) I must re-connect the Sonorix to the iPaq by playing with the "connect" and "disconnect" feature in the "Bluetooth My Shortcuts" menu of the iPaq
2) Play with the power on / off of the Sonorix
3) Sometimes even going as far as having to remove and put pack the battery of the Sonorix OBH-0110
4) or sometimes even going as far as "resetting" my iPaq.

Sometimes I have to do a combination of all 4 actions.

Unfortunately, these are the small burdens that I have to do in order to use Bluetooth Headphones, but it's worth it in order to enjoy my iPaq as an iPod / Mp3 player replacement.

m3rs4
04-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Very nice. Good to know the BT IPAQ Stereo driver for H5500 series will work on rx3715. I dont use BT headphone for music on my ipaq 3715. I use the good old wired stereo buds.

I do use the IPAQ BT to Activesync with my PC or to communicate with the BT GPS unit. I found for somereason if the connection is severe(ex. after either party went to sleep mode), I need to disable and reenable the BT function on ipaq or PC(sometimes both) to get them talk again. If I lose conection on the BT GPS unit, I only need to disable and reenable BT function on the ipaq only.

I found this little program called "MiniBT" to be quite useful to toggle BT on/off on the ipaq. It quite handy to toggle on/off with the use of a button by mapping.

PS: I found that MiniBT doesnt quite Work as advertised. I found another program that Actually works. It works quite different. It runs in the background and search of a particular "caption" on the "titlebar" and then turn on/off bluetooth according to the list you created. a bit complicated to setup. but it works.
http://oz.sciox.org/ozbt.html

Hx4700
04-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Bluetake iPhono headphones work fine with Hx4700 and WM2005. The High Quality Audio profile is already there under the BT Connection Wizard. Before when I was using WM2003se, I had to get the HQ Audio from a third party patch.
Ron...