View Full Version : About to Buy a Toshiba E740 I Think

lord hypno
03-27-2006, 12:14 AM
i have a few question's i have read Mixed Review and Report's so i want to ask other E740 user's About useing 4 Gig and higher CF and Microdrives

Does it Work ? i have read that the 740 does not support Fat32

Or can anyone suggest a P-PC that will let me use a 4 to 8 gig CF card that had a SD card slot also and Built in WiFi that dose not cost more then $200 ish dollars ?

Edgar_
03-27-2006, 02:51 AM
do NOT buy a e740 - you might as well just throw your money away

If a Toshiba get a E750 at worse, but even it has issues. The 740 has poor wifi and documented problems on many fronts.

I had one for 3 mos before dumping it for a E750 which I ended also having troubles with. I've had a HX4700 for 18mos now with minimal issues.

The 740 is not a stable nor well designed device. I sure wouldn't pay money for one.
I've seen HX4700 used for 200-250. Post a WTB on this boards sale/want forum.

ADBrown
03-27-2006, 04:55 AM
I pretty much agree with Edgar, except that I'd look for an Axim rather than an iPaq. The Dell Axims are better for the money. That said, the E740 does support FAT32, all Windows devices do.

Edgar_
03-27-2006, 05:00 AM
opps yea, forgot your main question. FAT32 is indeed supported.

Also, another thought on the 740. I think they stopped ROM upgrades on it at WM2003 - never releasing WM2003SE for it.

the Forums over at Brighthand have a pretty extensive Toshiba group if you are set on one - at least educate yourself on its issues.

To each his own on which device to buy. I won't buy Dell anything - He's not big on Ipaq :)

Just read the reviews and get what's best for your dollar and your needs. Between here, Brighthand and HowardForums you can get most of the good and bad of each device. And don't worry, we're all happy to give you our opinions, just ask!

Stephen Beesley
03-27-2006, 05:23 AM
At different times I have owned two Toshiba e750 devices, selling my most recent one only a few months ago to move on to and Axim x50v.

If value for money is what you are after and you do not need both BT and wifi built-in (they came with one or the other) then I can definately recomend one of these devices over a 740. The main advantages are that there was an update to WM2003 available for the e750 (which there is not for the e740), it has a slightly larger screen and, perhaps most importantly, they can be picked up very cheaply on ebay!

They also have a good size file store (32meg) and pretty good battery life in my experience. All in all a very good device I have always thought.

I always loved the form factor of the e750s, not to mention the great metal case, and would love to have seen a vga/WM5 device with a similiar look.

Of course that is all just MHO.... :D

Edgar_
03-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Oh yea Newtons rule. I swear that the recognizer on there is still far superior. Now I'm gonna have to go charge my 2100 and play with it!

I had a E750 for a long time. I too found it solid. I moved to the Ipaq because the company bought it, it was VGA and did I say I got it for free :) The only downfall was Toshiba never truly invested into their devices. Great design, no follow through and they created obsolete devices by never upgrading them.

isajoo
03-27-2006, 06:37 AM
i also own an e750 i had bought an e740 about 2-3 years ago... had it for a week(returned it) before i realized how many problems they had... no updates to ppc2003 and that means a lot of major problems if your going use it... if u want to just look at it turned off, go for it but it will only be a paper weight. i am almost sure all size cf or sd will work. great device.

Stephen Beesley
03-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Oh yea Newtons rule. I swear that the recognizer on there is still far superior. Now I'm gonna have to go charge my 2100 and play with it!

The 'printed' part of the Newton's HWR was actually coded by Apple itself and I really do believe it is the best I have ever used. The 'cursive' part was by Paragraph International - which just happens to be the same company that developed Transciber/Calligrapher. Unfortunately, even the latest versions of these do not match the Newton IMHO...

I had a E750 for a long time. I too found it solid. I moved to the Ipaq because the company bought it, it was VGA and did I say I got it for free :) The only downfall was Toshiba never truly invested into their devices. Great design, no follow through and they created obsolete devices by never upgrading them.

It is true that the Toshibas did suffer from lack of support/upgrades, but for what they are I still believe they are value for money. You can even still pick up the occasional refurbished device on ebay pretty cheap.

delfuhd
03-27-2006, 02:17 PM
You can get an e800 for $200-ish, and it comes with a VGA screen, WiFi, WM2003SE.