View Full Version : Internet

semrick
03-24-2006, 10:19 AM
I know this might sound really stupid, but where can I go to get internet for my Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC H3835? Also what do I need to buy to get online, its brand new. So it’s right out of the box.

egardner
03-24-2006, 12:06 PM
You would need a cf expansion pack (ebay is a good source) and a wifi card. Of course, wifi at home or access to hot spots would be good as well. :D

semrick
03-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Ok so after I get all that stuff, where do I go to get internet? Where do I find a service provider?

Nurhisham Hussein
03-30-2006, 02:12 AM
If you have a wireless router at home and an internet line, then you can go through that.

Out and about, you'll need to find a wireless hotspot - these can be subscription based (like mine) or free, depending on the location and the service provider. My hotspot access is an additional service provided by my broadband provider. Some restaurants and cafes offer hotspot access for free, hotels generally have them as well (though they'll charge you and arm and a leg to use it). Do a google search for "wireless hotspot" for your location - there's quite a few sites that list them down.

Be aware that accessing a private Access Point (AKA "wardriving") as opposed to a public hotspot can be illegal in some locales, and subject to criminal prosecution.

If you have a data plan to go with your cellphone, you can use that as well. If your PDA has bluetooth, most bluetooth phones are capable of being used as a modem. Otherwise a serial connection is also possible, but you'll need compatible cables.

hoffman
03-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Talking about accessing private wireless routers being illegal in some countries I must admit I have used them quite often in my travels to access email and make skype phone calls with my iPAQ 5550. The first month I installed wireless in my home in the UK I had a free none WEP key connection and I always connected using pocket winc wireless sniffer. The only wireless connection I found when the connection was open was mine as soon as I secured the connection after about a week a couple of other wireless connections popped up. It appears they had got the bug from my connection.
Personally I cannot be bothered so long as they are not slowing down my connection.
Regards Brian