View Full Version : Having problems with Activesync recognizing my Pocket PC

muah
03-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi,

I am having a nagging problem with Activesync. I just got the iMate JAMin Pocket PC phone, and when I first set it up, I had no problem getting my computer and Activesync to hook up with the JAMin and sync. But every time I subsequently try to sync, Activesync recognizes that something was plugged into the computer, but it just gets stuck in "Connecting" mode, and never actually syncs anything. The only way I can get it to work again is to completely uninstall and re-install Activesync 4.1 on my computer. And even after I do that, the same thing happens all over again. I have tried all kinds of combinations of re-starting the computer and re-starting/plugging/unplugging the Pocket PC, but it still does it. I had the same problem with my previous Pocket PC, which was a Dell Axim X3. Any ideas?

Patrick Y.
03-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Check your firewall!!

muah
03-19-2006, 11:00 PM
How is the firewall involved? The connection I'm having problems with is between the Activesync software on my desktop PC and my handheld Pocket PC... not between my desktop and the Internet (where the firewall comes in). Please explain...

Patrick Y.
03-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Firewall don't just deal with connections between Internet and your PC. It also deals with all the incoming/outgoing data transmissions through various ports. Please read this for intructions to check whether your firewall is blocking AS:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/default.mspx

muah
03-19-2006, 11:36 PM
I use Zonealarm (standard, not pro). The Activesync components are already registered in Zonealarm and they are set to be allowed to connect as needed. Still doesn't work.

muah
03-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Actually, I spoke too soon. I tried turning off Zonealarm, and it worked. Problem is, how do I set it up so I can sync without turning the firewall off altogether?

Patrick Y.
03-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Hello!
Glad to know that it works. Anyway, did you follow steps for adding protocols from steps 6-9 in the followings:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/zone.mspx