View Full Version : Dell Axim x51v bluetooth PAN connection problems, help.

ckmate2001
03-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Hi all,
I just purchased a Dell Axim x51v and I tried to connect it through a PAN on my Home PC using Bluetooth but I can not. On the home PC I have a bluetooth dongle and Blusoleil software. what I am trying to do is connect my axim to the internet using Personal Area Network on my home pc using Bluetooth. It has driven me crazy and I am unable to do it. My next door neighbour has an axim x30 and on his bluetooth connection he can choose PAN but on mine I can not do that and the only thing available on my axim BT is to be discovered and discover other devices, but i can not choose PAN when I pick up my home pc, also when my home pc picks up my axim it only picks up Object push and Serial port. any ideas folks. please let me know. thanks.

empowermobility
03-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Howdi -

I happen to own both PDAs, and I too have suffered the same fate. In researching the problem I discovered the following:

The Dell Axim X51v runs Windows Mobile 5. This rev. of the OS has changed Bluetooth stacks (to I think a Texas Instruments version) which subsequently drops ethernet support from its Bluetooth stack. This means no PAN connections. Ack!

The Dell x30 runs Windows Mobile 2003 which includes the WidComm Bluetooth stack, which includes the ethernet adapter, hence why your friend can connect over a PAN still.

It's unclear why they did this but my thought is that the SDK for Widcomm to programmically work with their bluetooth stack was way too expensive so Microsoft canned it. This is only my opinion, though. I have no idea why they really did it.

Anyway, from a consumer point of view, you can still use an emulated COM port to connect over Bluetooth. See the docs for steps to set that up. FWIW, it's not too bad if you have USB 2.0 support for your BT adapter. From a developer point of view, this is definitely a step backward as all other communications methods (IrDA, Wireless, and LAN) support TCP/IP. From what I gather, now you have to write additional code to support Bluetooth for WM5 in your applications. Sigh.

Hope this helps ...

ckmate2001
03-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi,
thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. I looked all over the docs for emulating the com part and didnt find anything, would you be so kind and tell me how to do that? or point me in the right direction. thank you again.

"Anyway, from a consumer point of view, you can still use an emulated COM port to connect over Bluetooth."

empowermobility
03-18-2006, 10:25 PM
H again -

Perhaps I should clarify. You'll need some software like ActiveSync 4.x, which knows to talk over the "emulated" COM port connection, to work. Once your connected, you can use ActiveSync Explorer as always. Here's a link to set that up.

ActiveSync over Bluetooth (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms228841(VS.80).aspx)

If this sort of connection is not what you are looking for, what are you trying to do?

ckmate2001
03-19-2006, 12:44 AM
I am trying to connect to the internet on my desktop with my axim x51v wirelessly using bluetooth? I do have active sync 4.0 as it came with my axim, on the desktop i have Blusoleil which is software that runs my bluetooth dongle.
the question is will it work? can i use blue soleil or do i have to use the blue tooth application that comes with windows xp? thanks.

Another thought is, if I bought a wireless wi fi network card and installed it in my desktop that is already connected to the internet via DSL, will the wireless network card then transmit the signal to the pda where i can access the internet on it since the pda has a built in wi fi? let me know please. I am so tired of the bluetooth thing already. thanks.

empowermobility
03-19-2006, 01:23 AM
OK ... two things.

1) Your Dell Axim has 802.11b built into it. So, if you have DSL or a Cable modem and use a router as a firewall, you can get better performance when surfing the web on your Pocket PC if you get yourself a Wireless Access Point (WAP). There is a bit of configuration to setting it all up, especially if want a secure private Wireless environment, but the speed you'll get might outweigh the cost. You can get one for $50-$100, depending on brand and features. Oh if you have DSL/Cable and don't use a router but rather software for your firewall, you can get combo router/WAPs for about the same price.

Incidently, if you bought that wireless card for your PC, it too would use the WAP for a wireless connection. The card alone would not talk directly to your Pocket PC unless you used a Peer to Peer mode, but I don't even know if that is an option for Pocket PCs.

Anyone else know or tried this?

Anyway, go with the WAP. It's easier and more versatile, IMHO.

2) If 1) is not an option for whatever reason, then no worries. You can still surf the web through your ActiveSync connection via Bluetooth. In ActiveSync, there are some settings to forward internet traffic out your ISP connection. I actually think they are enabled by default. Anyway, while your connected to ActiveSync via Bluetooth and open your web browser, all internet traffic will travel over the ActiveSync connection and out to the outside world. So, if you can set up the ActiveSync bluetooth ActiveSync connection, then you should be able to do it.

Wow. Lots there. Does any of it help? Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

ckmate2001
03-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi again,
I was thinking since I was able to connect at work through a Wifi wireless connection via the wifi connection that comes with the pda that i would be able to do it at home if i got a wifi wireless card, isn't that true?? thanks.

empowermobility
03-19-2006, 02:44 PM
At first I didn't think it was possible to do what you are asking, but then I found that you might be able use the PDA's WIFI capabilities to talk to your PC via a Wireless PCI card for your PC. This type of connection is called an Adhoc or peer-to-peer connection, and is normally possible with a PC to PC setup.

It sounds like it requires some setup, and that the connection is unreliable but someone seems to have made it work. Here are some links.

Adhoc and Axim #1 (http://www.aximsite.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-59609.html)

Adhoc and Axim #2 (http://www.aximsite.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-60656.html)

You might to search for yourself: adhoc and axim (or PDA maybe)

However, I strongly recommend you get a Wireless Access Point (WAP) to enable a bit more flexibility in your home network and save yourself a WHOLE lot of time and frustration. This sort of connection works reliably and will cause you less headache.

ckmate2001
03-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Thank you so much for the help, do you recommend any wireless access point brands. what is the best setup i can have from your experience.
I have 1 desktop, 1 laptop, 1 pda. Can you tell me what eaxctly of each i need to buy?
i am assuming at least 1 router/WAP + wireless pci card for the desktop + 1 pcmcia wireless card for the laptop am i correct? can you recommend any brands? thanks for all you have done for a fellow American :)

empowermobility
03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
OK. I'm honestly not in the business of spec'ing Network systems. I write software and felt I could address your questions regarding BT. However, since we're here, I'll see what I can offer ... just do me a favor and take what I share below and then do you own research for your final setup. It would be a good learning process for you anyway, and I've got some work to do. :D Oh, I'll be sure to send you a bill. 8)

FWIW, I use Linksys products, but there are other brands like NetGear, etc. As for your exact configuration, visit the Linksys website (http://www.linksys.com) for more information on what combinations you can get from Linksys. I'm sure Netgear has the same sort of deal. As for your hardware setup, I'd recommend you purchase a router/WAP 4 port switch combo, an ethernet card for your PC (not wireless) and a PCMCIA WIFI card for your laptop. Then, do a bit of research on how to configure your wireless network and router.

Speaking of configuring things, you'll want to keep WIFI network private and secure. That is, if you don't want your neighbors jumping on your WIFI network, you'll need to to either secure it with encryption or mac. address filtering. You might even not want broadcast your SSID (this is WIFI network name) so it's harder for folks to even know you have one. This is where your research will really pay off, so be thorough.

Lastly, the router will come with 1 ethernet cable, but it's short. You'll use this one to plug into your DSL modem, so you'll need another to connect your PC to the router. Oh, make sure your modem accepts ethernet cables; most do but better safe than sorry. I say this because it sounds like you use the USB cable connection to connect your PC to the DSL modem right now.

That's all I can suggest at this point. Get researching and post your results when you sort out your new setup. I'll let you know if it looks good.

Good luck!

ckmate2001
03-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi,
I was actually researching the whole thing online today and I will buy the items this week and will let you know how the setup is. thank you for your help. If you ever need any legal advise don't hesitate :)

ckmate2001
04-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi,
sorry for the late reply but i was out of town. I set up a full network and its linksys and its all working fine now including the PDA. Thank you for all the help you have offered. Joe.