View Full Version : I think 3.5 inch LED is the minimum for a bearable internet surfering purpose

supliang
03-18-2006, 07:44 AM
2.8 inch is nothing about useful internet surfering.

Patrick Y.
03-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Yeah. Though, strange to see how people waints small devices and large screen at the same time. :?

Pocketjumper
03-18-2006, 09:09 AM
I will have to agree. Some websites aren't designed for being viewed on a Pocket PC, and they may not have a PDA friendly version of their website. Having a large screen helps, and if it makes the PDA slightly big, who cares. I have more real estate to view webpages and make notes on.

Darius Wey
03-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Realistically, a 3.5" QVGA screen won't really give you "more" viewing space than a 2.8" QVGA screen. The resolution is the same, and so the rendering of pages remains the same. The only thing that's different is the pixel density.

Janak Parekh
03-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Realistically, a 3.5" QVGA screen won't really give you "more" viewing space than a 2.8" QVGA screen.
Exactly. The only advantage a 3.5" QVGA screen gives you is a bit more space to tap. Quite frankly, I find 2.8" screens more readable. (Now, if you're talking about VGA, that's certainly different, although the smallest VGA screens are typically 3.7".)

Anyway, I don't think it's that simple. I've used every screen resolution and size, and I find the most useable experience to be my 2" 240x240 Treo 700w, for two reason: it's fast, both in terms of data (EVDO) and in terms of scrolling... and because the thumbboard makes it easy to enter URLs, even while walking. The JasJar was nice, but I found the GPRS experience (you can't get the JasJar to be UMTS here) stifling. That said, a 640x480 EVDO device would make for a killer surfing experience.

--janak

lesterm
03-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Interesting point. I've recently got a O2mini S (Wizard) - the one with the terribly slow processory and tiny 2.8" screen.

Coming from a hx4700 I was worried about processor and screen on the mini s, but I needn't have been.

The device, for what I've used it for so far, has not been slow at all. Really quite snappy enough for me. Anyway - thats OT.

My screen worries were based around Excel and PIE. However, the advantages of the keyboard (on screen SIP in landscape in a spreadsheet anyone!) and the stylus free advantages of WM5 with the keyboard make the whole browsing experience nicer on the Wizard than on my hx.

This wasn't expected, but it's the way it is. Still love the hx4700 though - gonna keep it, 'cos I don't think there'll be anything like it again (black, mag alloy case, screen, cool!)

Everybody has different needs, uses and preferences though, of course.

Menneisyys
03-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Exactly. The only advantage a 3.5" QVGA screen gives you is a bit more space to tap. Quite frankly, I find 2.8" screens more readable. (Now, if you're talking about VGA, that's certainly different, although the smallest VGA screens are typically 3.7".)

Agreed - I find my 2.8" HTC Wizard perfectly usable for Web browsing if there're no VGA devices around.

pocketpcadmirer
03-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Agreed - I find my 2.8" HTC Wizard perfectly usable for Web browsing if there're no VGA devices around.

Not for me though. I just upgraded to htc blue angel(from htc magician) and not to the latest ones. Why ? I needed bigger screen(as big as my ancient ipaq 2215). I could have went in for Universal, but, was TOO expensive. I bought BA for $600(unlocked) and I'm pretty happy with my purchase(no software issues too).
Back to topic, when I used to surf on my magician, my eyes started paining after, say, 20 mins or something. Now, I have BA and no pains(I use it a lot now)

Sunny

lesterm
03-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Slightly OT, but the worst thing about the Wizard screen is the backlight ajustment onkly has 4 levels and the lowest (apart from no backlight!) IS still to bright for me in the dark.

Getting used to it now though!

Menneisyys
03-20-2006, 07:12 AM
I just upgraded to htc blue angel...I bought BA for $600(unlocked)

Canadian/Australian $?

Patrick Y.
03-20-2006, 07:41 AM

Canadian/Australian $?

He lives in India. :wink: However, I believe he converted the cost to US dollars.

Menneisyys
03-20-2006, 07:47 AM

Canadian/Australian $?

He lives in India. :wink: However, I believe he converted the cost to US dollars.

US$600 for a BA? That is expensive...

ChristopherTD
03-20-2006, 09:01 AM
I used a HP 5500 and an iMate Jam, both with QVGA screens. I rarely used the Internet unless I was desparate to find something. I used the HP a bit more for Internet because of WiFi (quicker).

I got an iMate JasJar (Orange branded one) last week and browsing on the VGA screen is excellent. Certainly good enough to catch up on most sites I track using BlogLines.

pocketpcadmirer
03-20-2006, 12:40 PM

Canadian/Australian $?

That is in US$. Acually, I bought it coupled with BT headset and a krusell leather case too 8) . So, $600 is not that expensive, imo.
And yes, who am I to worry, my dad paid the bill !!
(till now, 4 pocket pcs+1 palm(old zire 71)) and still counting..

SUnny

Patrick Y.
03-20-2006, 05:08 PM
And yes, who am I to worry, my dad paid the bill !!
(till now, 4 pocket pcs+1 palm(old zire 71)) and still counting..

SUnny

wow! you're lucky 8O

pocketpcadmirer
03-20-2006, 06:28 PM
wow! you're lucky 8O

I know that :wink:
Well, as my needs increased, I became more and more dependant on my pocket pcs. I yearned for more RAW power :devilboy: .
Also, when you get good marks, you always get rewarded(and I always ask for a new pocket pc as my reward) 8)

Sunny

Patrick Y.
03-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Also, when you get good marks, you always get rewarded

Sunny

I wish it's always true. I never got anything besides "do better next time" when I got straight A's.

Back to topic, I've to agree that 2.8 inch screen put too much strain on the eyes.