View Full Version : Pointers/Resources needed for Newbie

The_Nite_Owl
03-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi All,
I just picked up the Cingular 8125.
I am new to Windows Mobile devices and BlueTooth and am jumping in feet first.

I have searched around a bit but have found no solid info.
Can someone point me in the right direction for info on A2DP support?
I have seen bits and pieces about updating firmware with that from other related devices but it has been general talk nothing specific.

I am used to receiving Yahoo Alerts on my Treo 600.
I notice that the Messaging app in WM 5 does not support HTML so I do not get links from the news item descriptions to the full news item page.
I read a bit in the general guide to email apps on this site but there is much to digest. Can anyone tell me if there is a simple solution/workaround for getting this to work or if there is a better news resource I can use and get away from Yahoo Alerts?

I am trying to stay away from additional charge services like SMS and MMS but I do have an unlimited data plan.

I have much to figure out still like how to switch between tasks without CLOSING the screens. If there is a good introductory resource for the things not well covered in the manual I would appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks all. Looking forward to the new technology.
I am not a tech newb, just new to Pocket PC/Windows Mobile devices.

schmenge
03-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Hmm... don't know the answers to the first few questions, but in regards to closing programs........ Windows does NOT close a program when you tap the X, it minimizes it. In the background as Windows needs more memory it automatically closes programs.

You can get task managers which allow you to determine what happens when you tap on the X (always close or always minimize) and generally will give you access to running programs via the top bar. You could look at Wisbar Advance 2 (www.lakeridgesoftware.com) or Magic Button (not sure, but you could Google this for the site). WA2 is a pay program and MB is freeware. There are also others out there.

You did not ask, but you should also look at phoneAlarm (www.pocketmax.net) or Pocket Zen Phone (www.pocketzenphone.net). They can add some neat functionality as far as managing profiles on your device.

gpstoloff
03-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Hmm... don't know the answers to the first few questions, but in regards to closing programs........ Windows does NOT close a program when you tap the X, it minimizes it. In the background as Windows needs more memory it automatically closes programs.

You can get task managers which allow you to determine what happens when you tap on the X (always close or always minimize) and generally will give you access to running programs via the top bar. You could look at Wisbar Advance 2 (www.lakeridgesoftware.com) or Magic Button (not sure, but you could Google this for the site). WA2 is a pay program and MB is freeware. There are also others out there.

Magic Button is available from http://www.trancreative.com.