View Full Version : How do you enter the WEP key?

Golfer
03-16-2006, 10:27 PM
I have a 5550. I have setup my home router (Netgear) with WEP 64 bit which creates 4 keys. I have connected my wireless laptop and entered the keys with no problem.

However, I am not sure what to do with my 5550? I have gone to the "Configure Newtwork Authentication" menu screen and ticked "Data encrytpion (WEP Enabled)". There are then 2 fields to fill in. Network Key and Key index 1 with a drop down option to enter 2,3,4.

Does anyone know how I should enter the information? If I enter the 1st key and then click the dropdown for the 2nd key the entry for key 1 remains?

Whilst I have the green light suggesting a connection, PIE does t find any pages which I have enabled WEP on my router.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nurhisham Hussein
03-17-2006, 01:40 AM
I find the best way is to not preconfigure a wireless network connection - it's actually harder to do. For me, I just turn on wifi and wait for the OS to scan and recognise network(s) in the area. It will then prompt me to connect to whichever networks are available, and which network profile to use, and a popup box will come up to input the WEP/WPA key if necessary.

Nurhisham Hussein
03-17-2006, 01:59 AM
After rereading your post, I think I know your difficulty - I'm not sure whether the 5550 supports 64bit WEP. Have you tried 32bit?

bdavidson9554
03-17-2006, 04:18 AM
Only put in the WEP key and index # that your router has selected (not all 4 keys).

Golfer
03-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Thank you for your help.

I have tried just entering one key however I still get "The page you are looking for cannot be found".

I will look at my Netgear router, however I've only had it a few days so it's quite new. I don't think it will go down to 32 bit encryption. I think it's 64, 128 ...

I'll keeping trying. I might even have to take the WEP off which would be a shame.

Golfer
03-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Thank you for your help.

I have tried just entering one key however I still get "The page you are looking for cannot be found".

I will look at my Netgear router, however I've only had it a few days so it's quite new. I don't think it will go down to 32 bit encryption. I think it's 64, 128 ...

I'll keeping trying. I might even have to take the WEP off which would be a shame.

bdavidson9554
03-18-2006, 03:14 AM
I used to have a H5450 (w/ WM2003) with a NetGear router (can't remember which model) and I could never get wireless to work with DHCP. I think I had to use static IP addresses, gateway and DNS servers to get wireless to work. If you check your H5550's network adapter when the light is green, does the IP address field show a real IP from your LAN?

Life's been much better with a Linksys WRT54G and an iPAQ hx4700...