View Full Version : sprite backup password

biglouis
03-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Sprite Backup for WM5: Does this product suck or is it only me?

OK, I needed to do a hard reset on my K-JAM in order to clear out some odd behaviour (nothing new there, then).

When I installed Sprite Backup a few weeks back it asked me for a password and I am sure I duly used the one and only password I have used consistently for this type of thing for years. Of course, having achieved the big-50 recently I may be losing my mind and I used something completely different which I cannot now recall but I suspect not.

Now, when I want to reload my backup Sprite is persistently asking me for a password for my stored backup but will not recognise the password I am sure I used. I literally cannot think of what other password I would have used because I am so uncreative I actually only know one.

Firstly, has anyone tested that password protected backups can actually be restored? This is the first time I've tried to do this.

Secondly, has anyone any idea how to get around the password requirement? I suspect not but it is worth asking just in case.

I know this sounds like I must be a complete idiot but trust me, so far this product has not lived up to its promise and I'm not surprised it is yet again letting me down.

Ta muchly for any responses

LouisB

pivaska
03-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Sprite is not what it use to be. That is why I went with SPB backup. If you give it a try you will switch. I wonder if Sprite has a back door password that they might have built into their system. I imagine that even support might give you a problem.

biglouis
03-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Frankly, given the trouble I've had with most software since moving from a WM2000SE to WM5, I'm thinking of going back to Palm!

LouisB

CmputrAce
03-29-2006, 08:59 PM
I am quite sure that I didn't use a password at all, and now it is prompting me for one after I upgraded the ROM on my iMate JASJAR.

I'm stumped

paladin001
03-31-2006, 12:32 AM
I used the password feature of Sprite Backup and it works. I think that they are doing the right thing by not providing a back door if you look at the situation from the security point of view. In my organization we all use mobile devices, the data that I have in my backup files can bring my company down if goes in the wrong hand. With the new feature of exchange we can wipe the device so my data will be gone but if they can restore my backups I will be in trouble. I think that they should not provide a back door and should be responsibility of the user to remember their passwords. If we ask for back doors what is the point of using security?8O