View Full Version : Microsoft to Integrate VoIP into Windows Mobile?

Janak Parekh
03-15-2006, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://pdanews-de.blogspot.com/2006/03/cebit-2006-microsoft-to-add-voip-in_14.html' target='_blank'>http://pdanews-de.blogspot.com/2006...voip-in_14.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Coming from a source we tend to trust quite a bit, comes the hot juicy rumor that Microsoft may be up to some coup d'etat: Adding Voice Over IP functionality in Windows Mobile phones - at least the Pocket PC variant. In a move sure to conquer the hearts and souls of wireless carriers (or "operators" as we like to call them here), Microsoft is expected to offer an unobtrusive substitute for the already built in dialing application which will be able to initiate calls through the standardized SIP-protocol, which is much bigger here in Germany than the over hyped Skype."</i><br /><br />PPCT reader MarcTGFG has started a new dual-language (German/English) PDA news blog, and has some interesting inaugural articles, including this one about Microsoft potentially including VoIP in future Windows Mobile versions. He speculates that this may lead to friction between MS and the carriers. I don't know, but I'm guessing MS would take steps to avoid that, since converged devices seems to be their key push at this time.

Clinton Fitch
03-15-2006, 12:16 AM
I discussed this topic back in December on my site. You can find my take on it at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?cat=246

VoIP can and has to happen in my opinion.

MarcTGFG
03-15-2006, 03:02 AM
You are right, it is inevitable, especially in light of Nokias announcement to include seamless GSM/VoIP-Roaming in its new E series line of smartphones. MS will do whatever it takes to offer the best package for businesses and businesses see the opportunity to save hundreds and thousands of Dollars by avoiding cellular calls.

An anonymous commenter in that thread alleged that this is actually old news and that my source probably confused Microsofts Live Communicator Mobile with the dialing application. We will see.

Clinton Fitch
03-15-2006, 04:04 AM
An anonymous commenter in that thread alleged that this is actually old news and that my source probably confused Microsofts Live Communicator Mobile with the dialing application. We will see.

I don't know if it is necessarily old news. I first heard about it at Mobius in December last year so it isn't that old!

While there are applications out there that will produces a "VOIP like experience", but your blog and my article point to something completely different. Your anonymous poster is missing the point I think.

MS will, in my view, eventually build VoIP SIP compatibility in the OS image itself. This is based on discussion at Mobius. This is far different that a application.

Sven Johannsen
03-15-2006, 05:04 AM
That's nice. MS put A2DP in their BT stack too. Do we see it coming from the OEMs? MS offers Voice Command as an optional component for WM5. Do we see it coming fom the OEMs? I wouldn't wet my pants over this until I see actual units released with it.