View Full Version : Bluetooth GPS Connection problem

brianchris
03-14-2006, 06:34 PM
I feel like an idiot.

I've been using Pocket PC's since they launched in April of 2000, and I've been using GPS with them since shortly after that became availible. Indeed, I've only ever used Bluetooth GPS recievers.

I use a Socket Bluetooth GPS reciever and the iGuidence Navigation software. For years, up until recently, I was using that on a WM2003 Pocket PC without any problems. HOWEVER, I just upgraded to a WM5 device, and for the life of me I can't connect to the Bluetooth GPS reciever :cry:

The GPS reciever didn't change and niether did the Navigation software change, so the problem HAS to lie in WM5 (as the PPC OS is the only thing that DID change). I'm sorry to ask such a simple question, but how do I connect to a Bluetooth GPS in WM5????

The WM5 help files on my PPC (Cingular 8125) tease me by refering to Start > Settings > System tab > GPS icon, but no such icon exists. I'm really frustrated here, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm bracing myself for how simple and easy the fix will be :wink:

Thanks in advance!

emuelle1
03-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Brian, I'm used an x30 with WM2003SE, and I've only seen 2005 up close at the Dell kiosk at the mall, but here is the problem that gets me every time I try to set up my Pocket PC for GPS: I have to set it to Bluetooth COM port 7. I'm using a Delorme GPS, but that one setting always seems to get me.

I hope that is some help to you.

brianchris
03-15-2006, 03:54 AM
Thank you for your reply emuelle1.

STATUS UPDATE: I've solved my first problem.....I was creating an "Incoming port" instead of an "Outgoing port." Once I deleted any previously configured "Incoming ports" and created an "Outgoing port," everything worked fine. Now, I'm not sure why an incoming data stream (from Bluetooth GPS reciever TO PDA) would be considered/called an "Outgoing port," but that's a bit of spilt milk, because I solved my first issue.

HOWEVER, that has brought me to a second problem: While I can genereally get things to work, EVERY TIME I try to use GPS software now, the Bluetooth GPS Reciever tries to re-pair with my device, ignoring the fact that its currently / previously been paired. If I don't allow it, no data stream is evered transfered. If I do allow it, I get to more identical notifications, and ultimately the existing partnership is erased. I can then re-create the partnership manually, but that whole process is quite a pain everytime I wish to use the GPS software.

Again, any advice would be appreciated.

jcoffing
03-17-2006, 11:12 PM
HOWEVER, that has brought me to a second problem: While I can genereally get things to work, EVERY TIME I try to use GPS software now, the Bluetooth GPS Reciever tries to re-pair with my device, ignoring the fact that its currently / previously been paired. If I don't allow it, no data stream is evered transfered. If I do allow it, I get to more identical notifications, and ultimately the existing partnership is erased. I can then re-create the partnership manually, but that whole process is quite a pain everytime I wish to use the GPS software.

Again, any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not a bluetooth expert by any means, but I've read somewhere that if you do not have "Secure Connection" selected for your bluetooth device (and enter a Passkey), you'll be required to accept the device each time it tries to connect. You'll need to delete all previous pairings, then re-create the partnership with a passkey to make the pairing permanent. I had a similar problem with a BT mouse.

Hope this helps...