View Full Version : iPAQ HW6515 restarted by itself and I lost everything

vanydotk
03-12-2006, 06:49 AM
OK so I just got this PDA about two days ago and it was working fine until I installed a game called SuDoku. When I first installed it, it gave me a warning that read something like this "this game was made for an older version of windows mobile, it may not display correctly." So after installing it, I played the game and it seemed to work fine (pda was on the cradle btw being charged). Out of nowhere it shows up with the loading screen you see the first time you start up your pda and everything I installed was GONE. It was like I just bought it and just started it up out of the box. just FYI, the battery was 100% and it was on the cradle when this happend. Does anybody know what this can be?

cliff notes
Installed SuDoku
PDA was on cradle charged at 100% and I was using it to play SuDoku
Restarts out of nowhere and when it comes back up, everything is gone.

Is there anyway to do a clean install on PDAs? Like.. format it and just reinstall the OS? Or do you guys think it's a hardware problem? thanks.

Darius Wey
03-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts.

It sounds like a bit of buggy code in the Sudoku application you installed. Something like that can bring a system down, which is why it's recommended that you backup your device prior to installing an application, especially if you are prompted with a warning about OS compability.

Is there anyway to do a clean install on PDAs? Like.. format it and just reinstall the OS?

Yes, it's called a hard-reset (which, according to your descriptions, is what just happened).

To my understanding, the sequence for initiating a hard-reset manually on your hw6515 is to hold down the power button and insert your stylus into the soft-reset hole simultaneously. Your manual should contain additional details.

pocketpcadmirer
03-12-2006, 05:06 PM
In addition to what Darius said, i recommend u to install SPB backup(as it creats self-executable file). Thus it'll help you to quickly restore

Sunny

vanydotk
03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the responces guys, I'm just glad to know that it's probably not my hardware. It's a good thing it's only two days old and I didn't have much on it. I'll be sure to back it up often now.

fkheng
04-22-2006, 04:36 AM
arghhhhhhhhh!!! i'm super frustrated.

i have been using my dopod 838 for a month with so many files and precious pictures.
thank God i have found a thread with a similar problem.

i also played sudoku. and my pda hanged. i soft-reseted, and guess what???

all my files disappeared! just as vanydotk said. not just my programs/files on my pda's in-built memory, but all my files on my SD Card!

what kind of program would do this to you! arghhhhhhhhhhhh..........and is there anyway to recover my files???

i am just flabbergasted. lost for words...i couldn't sleep properly. all my files are gone now. i enjoyed the sudoku game but after finishing the game, my files went missing. arghhhhhh..............

anyone else have had similar experiences?