View Full Version : Help w/Laptop Purchase......AGAIN

shawnc
03-11-2006, 04:53 PM
My Fujitsu appears to be on the verge of permanent breakdown (v-e-r-y disappointing considering I paid a premium for what I thought was a sturdy, reliable, machine). The guy I have looking at it indicates that Fujitsu doesn't sell parts so if its a hardware issue I have to send it back to them.

My next purchase will be a more budget-concious one. I'm trying to come in at around $1,200 USD. I'm looking for an ultra-portable, small screen (10-12"), external cd drive, wireless g. We are not a technical household so we use our computer for a few things. We don't come close to maximizing the features most people pay extra for.

We use the Internet, Office applications, email, Itunes, and burn the occassional CD. Not really much more than that.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Dell Latitude X1, though I thought I saw an ACER model that I'm unable to locate. At $1500, its still more than I would like to spend, but I can handle it. My main consideration at this point is portability and price (again, we just don't use all the fancy features).

As always, all suggestions are appreciated.

Typhoon
03-11-2006, 09:55 PM
eBay has good prices. Refurbished and nonrefurbished. There is the Sony T350p for around $1,200 (refurb.), and the Dell 700m for around $1,000, which is 4.1 lbs and is a really good deal.

shawnc
03-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Typhoon,

Thanx for the advice. Never thought of ebay :oops: .

darkdestroyer
03-12-2006, 03:36 PM
You should look at the Dell 710M or the Alieanware M3200. Both are in your price and feature range

Typhoon
03-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Sure no problem. eBay is where I got my laptop exactly a year ago. A Dell 700m for $1,000. It came with a Pentium M - 1.8 GHz CPU with 256 MB RAM, 60 GB HDD, 12.1" shiny widescreen, 4.1 pounds, SD card reader, Wi-Fi, 1 year warranty. It sounded like a good deal. But I think now they are going for cheaper. Someone mentined the Dell 710m. It's supposed to be an updated version of the 700m. What difference, I do not know. Actually I am due for a new laptop. I will buy another off of eBay within a couple months from now. I don't know why it's so hard to resist buying a Sony.

shawnc
03-12-2006, 09:12 PM
I ended up getting the Latitude X1 off of ebay. Got a 60G hard drive, DVD burner, wireless G & BT, all for $1,200, which includes taxes (none) and shipping. That's around $500 less than what Dell was selling it for ON SALE. The unit I was looking at had a 30G hard drive and no DVD burner, only CD/RW, and it would have cost me close to $1,400. Amazing that I can get a BRAND NEW Dell from ebay for $500 less than the sell price at Dell.

Looked at both the Dell 710M and the Alieanware M3200. The 710M was a little heavier than I wanted but was quite intrigued by the Alieanware. Eventually the X1 won out. Thanx darkdestroyer for the ideas.

Typhoon, thanx for the suggestion. If you're ever in Pittsburgh, lunch and brews are on me :D !

Typhoon
03-13-2006, 05:49 PM
lol thanks. Oh no, I happen to live in CA. It is actually snowing up here. When you get your laptop, make sure to do a warranty transfer...and when you do that, make sure the previous owner's (seller's) name is off your account/warranty. Because everytime I had to call Dell, I had to give my name and the previous owners name before you can get any tech. support or anything done to the laptop. It is a pain when you forget your seller's name, address, phone #, etc.

shawnc
03-14-2006, 01:16 AM
Thanx for the additional advice. This unit is brand new in the box so I'm not sure about the xfer, but I'll be certain to contact Dell as soon as I get it.