View Full Version : Arrgh! ActiveSync 4.1 problems... help?

bcvc38
03-11-2006, 05:02 AM
Sorry for the crosspost. I had posted this elsewhere here and it seems the other forums just don't pull the same traffic as this one. I REALLY need some help on this, if anyone here is a whiz or has had the same problem.

I exchanged my screen-broken T-Mo HP Ipaq 6315 for a new T-Mo MDA under the CompUSA TAP insurance last night. I'll mention that ActiveSync 3.7 worked fine (never a problem) on my home PC with the HP 6315.

This morning, I uninstalled ActiveSync and fired up the new MDA "Getting Started" CD that came with the MDA. It seems to have installed ActiveSync 4.1, but it will not recognize my device or connect to sync. I get the USB "device connect tone" when I plug it in and turn on the MDA, I also get the USB "device disconnect tone" when I shut it off or unplug.

I tried the free "Dialatech" service that came with my new TAP plan. They were about as worthless as tier 1 support. He had me do a "go-back" and try intalling the new ActiveSync over the old version of ActiveSync. It seemed to go fine, but got me to the exact same place. He gave up.

I called T-Mo and tier 2 support had me uninstall, reboot and reinstall ActiveSync after going through all of the obvious stuff. It all went smooth and got me to the exact same place.. I have an open ActiveSync window that says "connecting" and the green logo is spinning. It will sit like that for hours. It is like it is hung up there. I am expecting a "create new partnership" window to pop up, but nothing.

If I pull the cable or switch the device off, I get the tone I mentioned above and the ActiveSync window changes to "No Connection" and the logo stops and goes gray. Reconnect it and I get the tone, the window goes back to "Connecting" and the logo goes green and spins. T-Mo Tier 2 gave up and sent me up to Tier 3, where I sat on hold, listening elevator music for an hour and a half.

Tier 3 said this is a "known problem" and 4 of the last 5 calls he has taken today were this same issue with the new MDA. He said he has fixed several with this same issue over the past couple of days, but each time, it was "just dumb luck" and he was never really sure what the fix was, it just finally sync'ed after having the customer tinker with various settings and re-booting.

So, we tried for 2.5 hours to solve the issue (attempted forced connections, vanilla boot, changed winsock, reset about everything and checked all settings) and had no luck. A total of 5 hours (today), 6 re-installs and about 20 reboots later, I am still stuck with no sync-ability. I also installed on 2 other computers and tried 3 other cables, all to no avail.

T-Mo Tier 3 said they will be researching the problem and hope to get back to me soon (before WM7 comes out, I hope).

Any ideas? Suggestions?

bcvc38
03-12-2006, 04:22 AM
Please see updates and post any reply/feedback in this thread:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=393210#393210