View Full Version : PDA, Bluetooth..... Questions

Warpdrv
03-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I am thinking about getting a PPC, and I would like to get something that I can use as a GPS for my Motorcycle... although that isn't the only use, I am all about the most power, and best battery life.

If I don't get a PPC with GPS I would have to get a Bluetooth unit...

How many instances can you have running... Can you use a bluetooth headset at the same time your using a GPS...?

I would really like to get a GPS PDA / phone, but I don't really care as much about a phone, as from what I see, all the 6700 devices, the battery life sucks... but I would like WiFi....

Suggestions, or should I wait a bit longer, as the convergence devices are just getting started here...

I like the power of the Axim 51, but maybe I, just like everyone else want everything before its ever built...

yeti
03-09-2006, 05:32 AM
Not totally sure, but i believe only Bluetooth 2.0 supports multiple cocurrent profiles.

Sven Johannsen
03-09-2006, 06:36 AM
You can have multiple connections going. I think 7 is the official limit, but it is tough to find 7 things to connect all at once. You can certainly do a headset and the GPS. You sure you want to do such a thing on a bike though? The BT headsets designed for bike/helmet use are a bit pricey. I also find that I am pretty busy (focused) driving a bike. There are always discussions about how much just talking distracts drivers, I'm not sure I would want to wrestle with answering and participating in a call on a bike.

Back to GPS. You don't have to stick with BT or an embedded GPS. You could go with an SD, CF or serial puck GPS. Any would work. The serial would be the hardest as it does require power. That might be a plus though if you can get a 12v source on the bike, it would power the GPS and the PPC. Imagine a Dell X51v with a Pharos 360 GPS and you get the serial and CF options. Short trips you could just use CF and longer ones you could use the serial option with power.

I just recently got an iMate PDA-N and it seems like it might be well suited to your need. It's pretty small and QVGA, but pretty convenient as far as GPS/Nav goes.

How are you planning on mouning the GPS? I figure that a tank bag with the clear map cover would work reasonably well. You are going to have some issues with hearing the commands unless you have helmet speakers or find a way to get a BT helmet set to pair with the PPC.

Warpdrv
03-10-2006, 01:29 AM
thanks for taking the time to help me out with my questions.....

After looking at the Phone/PDA's, Im afraid of th battery life being crap...
Please correct me if Im wrong..... I was looking at the 6700's sprint/verizon, and the 8125 from cingular.. and they are really nice looking, and I would assume performace is pretty nice as well, but I don't want to worry about the battery life so much... I only say this as some of the reviews were pretty hard on them about that...

Now, as far as the Bluetooth, and multiple connections, I wouldn't be looking at using the GPS and the phone, but rather the mp3 playback(bluetooth stereo headsets), while riding my motorcycle.. I have no need whatsoever to take a freakin call while Im riding( thats just stupid).

With that said, as far as the GPS, I would rather not shorten up battery life by using a card type which powers thegps with onboard battery, (Am I wrong in thinking this way) I see a few bluetooth GPS (sirf lll) products out there that are good for 16 hours on a charge. I think to me that would be the way to go without sucking up one of the card slots.

Maybe Im better off thinking about getting myself a Axim 51 and a bluetooth GPS to satisfy my needs...
Please kick me in the head if you guys think otherwise... Sometimes I take too many stupid pills.. and can't think right.

My main concerns are Battery life, great screen, and great processor..... I do know that with somethings comes a tradeoff... what do you think... Price is not an object here... Although I would like the best bang for my buck...

Like everyone else I would llike a Ferrari, but pay for a Honda... :)

thanks

Warp

Warpdrv
03-10-2006, 01:57 AM
Oh as far as mounting, there are usually some alluminum cases for such things as the Axim and Im quite handy, so that and a 12v power can be spliced in quite easily... not worried about that...
If weather gets ugly, I gots me lots of pockets..
and I could really give or take the voice commands... Im pretty good at following a colored line without missing a turn... hheheh I may be dumb, but HEH... I might be able to figure that out... :)

Warp

Menneisyys
03-10-2006, 07:31 AM
My main concerns are Battery life, great screen, and great processor.....

The first two is not something Dell Axim x51's (and the x51v in particular) can boast with :)