View Full Version : How to install software in the sd card?

VonBotter
03-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Does anybody know a way to install software in the sd card? The main memory of my Ipaq 3115 is almost full and there is a lot of free room in the 1Gb sd card I have. When I had a Palm handheld, the installer program gave me the option to install new software in the device main memory or in the card. Can I do something like this with my Ipaq? Thanks in advance.

SteveHoward999
03-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Installers that you run from your PC through ActiveSync allow you to choose the default location or a custom location. Choose a custom location.

***Some*** applications work fine if you simply move the installation folder to the SD card.

Others require that you work a little harder and update registry keys.

I think Menneisyys has posted specifics here in the past on how to move registered dlls.

Guest979
03-06-2006, 03:34 AM
If you want the option to install to external memory without using ActiveSync, there is a program called CabInstl (I think).

Darius Wey
03-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Yes, aside from using ActiveSync, CabInstl is another option.

I thought I'd mention how CabInstl works. It's an EXE file that runs locally on your Pocket PC. It only handles CAB files, so if you unpack a desktop installer on your PC, you'll have to move the CAB manually from the Program Files folder of your PC to the Pocket PC. Better still, if the site you download the application from has the CAB available for download, then grab that.

Once the CAB file is on the Pocket PC, run CabInstl, then select the CAB file, and then select where you wish to install it (yes, storage cards are supported). There are a couple of minor options that can also be tweaked, but those are self-explanatory.