View Full Version : Connecting to the Internet using pass-through?

Mark Larson
03-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Dell Axim X30 with Bluetooth and wifi

Hi, I'm wondering how to get to the Internet using pass-through. I usually connect using Bluetooth and my phone, but I'd like to download Skype and other programs directly to my PDA.

What do I have to do in order to have it connect to the Internet via USB first, wifi second and Bluetooth last? Thanks! Right now I'm connected and it was charging, but now its not. I used these settings for connecting via Bluetooth and don't know if I'm supposed to create a new profile.

Pertinent details: I've changed the setting in ActiveSync to use Work instead of The Internet to no avail, and this is on a Guest partnership, not Standard because this is my secondary computer.

Menneisyys
03-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Dell Axim X30 with Bluetooth and wifi

Hi, I'm wondering how to get to the Internet using pass-through. I usually connect using Bluetooth and my phone, but I'd like to download Skype and other programs directly to my PDA.

What do I have to do in order to have it connect to the Internet via USB first, wifi second and Bluetooth last? Thanks! Right now I'm connected and it was charging, but now its not. I used these settings for connecting via Bluetooth and don't know if I'm supposed to create a new profile.

Pertinent details: I've changed the setting in ActiveSync to use Work instead of The Internet to no avail, and this is on a Guest partnership, not Standard because this is my secondary computer.

You can both use ActiveSync Internet pass-through and native BT PAN / Wi-Fi p2p-based connection with manual internet sharing. The latter mean you need to set up your P2P network (at the first time) but doesn't at all involve ActiveSync.

All in all, if you have probs with the AS wireless internet sharing, go for native BT/Wi-Fi connections. Let me know if you need more info on setting them up and then I collect the links of my tutorials on the latter.

Mark Larson
03-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi Menneisyys, I'm using this tutorial: http://wiki.howardforums.com/pocketpc/index.php/Surfing_the_Internet_using_your_cellphone_and_Bluetooth

Because I have to set the proxy server in order to connect via Bluetooth, I'm having a tough time with wifi. I have to tell it that I'm not using a proxy server, otherwise PIE doesn't finish loading the page. Is there a way to have it go through the proxy for the Bluetooth dialup connection and through no proxy for the wifi connection? I don't want to input my proxy settings every time I switch back to Bluetooth after using wifi (since if I deselect the proxy server box, it forgets the proxy server).

Nurhisham Hussein
03-06-2006, 01:47 PM
You need to set up two different network connection profiles, one for bluetooth and one for wifi - once you understand the concept, it's pretty easy to define as many different network configurations as you want. Menny's got a brilliant article on how to do this pretty painlessly, for which I haven't got the link at present. I've got the following defined based on which network configuration I'm using:

1. Home wifi
2. Bluetooth modem (GPRS)
3. Work network (proxy)
4. Infrared modem (GPRS)
5. Wifi Hotspot account

Mark Larson
03-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Wow, that would really be useful if I could switch between profiles like that. I'd appreciate a link.

Menneisyys
03-06-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't want to input my proxy settings every time I switch back to Bluetooth after using wifi (since if I deselect the proxy server box, it forgets the proxy server).

It's much easier than you think. Please read the following tutorial on this: http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?p=28878