View Full Version : Axim X3i - worth a look?

Mark Larson
02-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey there, I have a cheap Axim X3i in my sights. I've been looking for a Smartphone or Pocket PC phone for some time now, but this plain PPC device looks so cheap that I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to use with my phone.

The X3i has BT/wifi, a 312Mhz processor, and WM2003 (no SE? was SE available on these models?). The seller is offering a wireless keyboard with it, for a total cost of $130. Is it worth it? Should I go for it or not?

I'm just looking for something that will let me browse the Internet with my T-Mobile phone and maybe watch some downloaded TV shows. I'm happy to hear from the PPCT reviews that the Bluetooth and wifi functions are strong - can anyone tell me how much PPC PE functionality I can emulate with a Bluetooth phone?

Thanks for looking, do post!

marathon332
02-28-2006, 01:35 PM
As a basic unit to carry around contacts and surf the net wirelessly, this unit would probably be okay. And the price is right.

My advice for non-power users is to buy middle of the road computers. They usually have lots of software available and can be realistically used for another year or 2.

Just bear in mind that most new software and games coming out during the next year will be for WM 5.0 which this unit can't run.

--Steve

ADBrown
02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
I should note that only the European version of the X3i has Bluetooth. The American versions do not. No, SE was never offered on the X3i. You had to go up to the X30 to get that.

Yes, the X3i is a decent unit, and if you do have a line on one of the dual wireless ones it's a pretty good deal.

Mark Larson
03-01-2006, 06:53 AM
Well I bought it for $130. Let's hope it gets here soon so I can start having fun with it! :mrgreen: