View Full Version : Using MSN Messenger via GPRS/ WAP

msaunders
02-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Hello

Was ondering if someone could give me some advice on how to get my XDA IIi setup to use MSN Messenger on my network . I am in Ireland and am using the O2 network. I have GPRS setup to retrieve emails and also browse the web but when I try to launch MSN Messenger it tells me

Logon to MSN Messenger Service failed because the service could not be found. Please make sure you are connected to the internet.

Thing is , it does connect to the GPRS network as it attempts to connect to MSN .

Any ideas ?
Thanks
Martin

SteveHoward999
02-25-2006, 08:46 PM
First guess - Orange may have he Messenger port blocked?

A long time ago I used Orange, a cell phone and a pda with messenger on train journeys betwen London and Preston, so certainly in England Messenger used to be enabled when using GPRS as a modem for the PDA. But still - they might have the port blocked in Ireland. Try tech support.

msaunders
02-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi

Thanks for your reply . Yeah I rang them and they said that they dont support MSN over GPRS and to contact Microsoft helpline and ask them (lol) . Thing is , I was using a BlackBerry up until I got this XDA and I was using an MSN equivilant (called IM+) that worked pretty well but i needed to use the follow

WAP Gateway IP: 192.168.90.74
Wap Gatewat Port: 9201
Wap APN: wap.dol.ie

Now I cant find out where to enter those into my XDA (under connections) and I was thinking I needed to maybe set that up as a proxy (?) but that didnt work either.

Do I need to maybe create an aditional WAP connection for the XDA and use that for MSN etc ?

Thanks again
Martin