View Full Version : WM5 WMP10 needs u-Law support BAD!

inteller
02-24-2006, 09:38 PM
This is a plea to Microsoft or anyone who can influence Microsoft. Please update WM10 to include u-Law codec support.

Here is why:

LOTS or corporate unified messaging systems encode voice mail attachments as 64kbs 8khz mono u-Law. WMP10 on the WM5 platofmr cannot play these. WMP10 on XP does include this codec and will play just fine.

Vonage has also started using this Codec. SO, if you get an email to your device from vontage with the voice mail, you can't listen to it.

Now with this being said I know you can use TCPMP to play u-law, but that is a very kludgy way and most companies dont want to deal with that, they need a device out of the box that can do this.

So Microsoft, PLEASE include CCITT u-law support in a service release for WM5/WMP10!

jeremyjoslin
02-24-2006, 10:44 PM
sold my treo and now back to PPC-PE. first thing I noticed was I couldn't open my vonage attachments. this kinds sucks. palm made download, open, and play all seemless.

GSmith
02-24-2006, 10:51 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=383797#383797

inteller
02-25-2006, 03:25 AM
yes, I know about that thread. But thats not my point. Coroprations arent going to want to futz with loading an extra program on the devices. Microsoft needs to include this support built in because it is SO fundemental. CCiTT u-Law is a standard encoding method in the telephony industry.